fourth of July fireworks

(here is a picture of Josephine above, accept Josephine looks a little younger)

 "hurry up Josephine, we are meeting the Jacobs outside of the church so we can set off the fireworks!" i heard my mom yell downstairs.

 "coming mom!" i shouted back, eyeing myself in the mirror one more time as i set down my hairbrush.

 i had curly, poufy black hair, pale skin and sky blue eyes, unlike my family who's hair was straight and brown and their eyes are brown. i rushed down the stairs. a new family just moved in yesterday and mom thought it would be "welcoming" if we invited them to the fourth of July picnic at the church that we have every year.

 i rushed downstairs to see my eighteen year old brother, Julio and my fifteen year old sister, Jessica. Jessica thinks shes all that, even though she is only a year older than me. we hopped into my mom's car and arrived at the church, minutes later.

 i spotted the Jacobs family right away, since i know literally everybody in this town. there was a mother and a father, three girls and... a boy. he wore his church clothes and he had slicked back jet black hair and blazing green eyes. our eyes locked but the contact was broken when the sound of a booming firework caught my attention.

 Julio had set off a firework, which earned him a scolding from my mother. i stifled a laugh as my mom grabbed him by the ear and pulled him far away from the church, out of earshot. the Jacobs family started socializing with neighbors, the priest well, everyone accept for the boy. i walked up to him.

 "hi" i said, causing him to look at me almost...surprised?

 "um hello" he murmured.

 "i'm Josephine Diez" i introduced.

 "Milo, Milo Jacobs" he replied.

 suddenly, we were called over by our parents as everyone gathered around each other. 

 "now, lets thank god for this wonderful celebration" announced the priest.

 i watched as everyone got on their hands and knees and prayed silently, in their heads. i just stood there. my eyes flickered over to Milo, who stood there with his arms crossed. was he being forced into a religion like me? whenever i told my dad i didn't believe in god he slapped me across the face.

 our eyes locked and i felt my cheeks redden. suddenly everyone stood up and i kneeled down and acted like i had just got up. everyone started to eat the food that was lied upon the open table. i wasn't hungry, so i just stood there watching everyone laugh and talk.

 suddenly Jessica, along with two other girls i know from church bounced towards me. one of them pushed me, but everyone was too busy to notice.

 "what was that for?!" i asked, earning me another shove.

 i stumbled back until i fell to the ground. i looked down to see i was covered in mud. mom is going to kill me!

 "oh my god! Jessica, you just ruined my dress for christ's sake!" i cried.

 Jessica's jaw dropped.

 "you just sinned, wait till i tell mom!" she exclaimed as she and her friends strided over to mom.

 i got up and hung my head in embaressment as i walked behind the church. nobody could see me like this. i felt a small tear trickle out my eye.

 "are you okay?" asked a voice from behind me.

 i whipped around to see Milo.

 "y-yeah i'm fine" i sniffled.

 "your sister is cruel" he said walking towards me.

 "i know" i replied, chuckling slightly.

 i hung my head, causing strands of dark brown hair to fall in front of my face.

 "Josephine" he starts but i cut him off by saying "call me Joey".

 "Joey" he repeats "your sisters probably just jealous".

 i feel my cheeks heat up.

 "that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me" i blushed.

 "you must not know many nice people, then" replied Milo, smirking.