Chapter Five

Cameron:

Cameron's wolf yipped, turning circles inside him as he faced his mate. Adam Gallagher was perfect in every way. A slight blond with blue eyes and pouty lips, he was as beautiful as Cameron had hoped he would be, and he smelled great. The sugary smell of cotton candy and cookies made Cameron long to bury his face along the side of the other wolf's neck so he could smell it better.

Adam's eyes were wide as he stared at Cameron. The lingering odor of his fear and anxiety made Cameron want to go charging after Landon and Graham and finish the job.

"Are, are you okay, Alpha?" Adam asked, and Cameron shivered at his soft tenor.

"Cameron, call me Cameron," he managed to get out, and Adam rewarded him with a small smile.

"Okay, that was...weird," Carver's confused voice broke the spell that had settled over Cameron and Adam.

Colby shrugged. "It didn't seem weird to me."

"You don't think it's weird that this guy." Carver frowned as he waved a hand at Adam.

A warning growl rumbled in Cameron's throat. Cameron wasn't going let anyone intimidate his mate, especially not a member of his own family.

Carver took a step back. "Come on, Cam. You have to admit it's weird that you're mate is a guy. You're not even gay."

"Of course he's gay," Colby said. "There's no way the Fates would give him a mate that was the wrong gender."

Carver stared at Cameron as if he'd never seen him before. "How long have you been gay?"

Cameron shrugged. "Since I was born I guess."

"That's..."

"That's what?" Cameron demanded when Carver's words trailed off.

"How come you didn't tell us?"

"Maybe for the reason you're looking at me right now."

"I'm looking at you like this because I'm surprised, you asshole," Carver snapped. "We're brothers. We're supposed to trust each other with stuff like this."

"I'm not surprised," Colby said. "The signs are all there if you pay attention."

Cameron looked at Colby. "What signs?"

"You've never had a girlfriend or even talked about being interested in girls," Colby answered.

"You check out guys when they're stripping to shift for the pack run," Mitch spoke up.

"I do not," Cameron muttered as his face heated.

Truthfully, he had, but he'd thought he was being careful about it. Just a quick glance, never lingering.

Mitch laughed. "Okay, you don't."

Mitch was lucky he was Cameron's best friend, or he would have been the next person Cameron choked. He still could be if he didn't stop being so helpful.

"Dad's going to shit a brick when he finds out," Carver pointed out.

"No, he's not," Colby said.

"Yeah, he is," Carver insisted. "Cam's supposed to be the next alpha. How the hell is he supposed to carry on the alpha line if he can't have kids?"