The Beginning

"One thousand pesos short." Nadine wanted to cry. Rent will be due tomorrow and she's still short of funds, 'This is pathetic!' She thought to herself, 'I'm already working two jobs and I still can't make ends meet.'

The doorbell rang as a new customer walked into the restaurant where Nadine works. She immediately forgot about her financial difficulties when she saw an elegantly dressed young man walk in.

"Good evening, sir." Nadine greeted politely, barely stopping herself from drooling over the handsome customer.

"Table for one?" She said, hoping that this man didn't have a date with him.

"That will be fine." The man answered curtly.

'Yes.' Nadine thought gleefully, 'No date, I get him all to myself. Besides, he looks like he can afford to leave a big tip.'

Giving her most friendly and kind smile, Nadine led the man to a secluded spot of the posh restaurant. After giving the menu and taking the drink order, Nadine walked away to give the customer time to decide on his dinner. She felt a little uneasy because she sensed that the man was studying her intently. She sneaked a look at the customer but he was busy studying the menu, 'Nadine!' She scolded herself, 'Stop your over active imagination and concentrate on serving the customer! Remember, the better the service, the bigger the tip!'

"Are you ready to order?"

The man looked like he had made up his mind. He surprised her by giving a heart-stopping smile, "Yes, I'm ready but first, what's your name?"

Nadine blushed furiously and shyly said, "Nadine po. Nadine Lustre."

Nadine almost fainted as the man's smile got even more brilliant, "It's my pleasure to meet such a lovely lady."

The man said, "Tell me, are you seeing anyone?"

"That's a little too personal, mister." Nadine smiled as she answered the man, "Besides, I don't even know your name."

"That can be easily taken care of." The man said, "My name's James."

~

It's been weeks since that fateful day when Nadine met her knight in shining armor at the restaurant. She would still get a warm fluttery feeling in her stomach every time she would recall what happened that night. She can't believe he actually wanted to wait and take her home. Of course, not knowing the guy, she had refused. He actually even left a five hundred pesos for his meal. Then every time, he will arrive at five, when most of the crowd was gone and eat and chat with Nadine. He was always very polite, well-mannered and charming. After a week, she finally agreed to go watch a movie with him on her only day off from both of her jobs. They had a great time.

Gradually, their relationship started to develop and Nadine was in seventh heaven.

He started showing up when she would get off from work, usually with flowers and always with some food so that they can have dinner together at her apartment. She was apprehensive the first time he went to her place. She has a tiny apartment at the bad section of town but that was the only thing she could afford. She had done her best to make it as comfortable as possible. She knew that he was used to a more luxurious surrounding. Just seeing the way he dressed, the car he drove and of course that big tip, told her that he's a very affluent person.

Aside from frowning when he saw what area she lived in, he didn't show any other negative reaction and seemed to like her apartment.

"I'm sorry about all this mess." Nadine had said, slightly embarrassed about her place.

"Don't worry about it. I really like what you've done here; it's very welcoming and cozy." James said, while looking around with appreciation.