The End

THE OTHER ENDING

The baby turned five months old today. Nadine smiled as she looked at their daughter. She marveled at the fact that the baby is the exact replica of her husband, almost like they were made from the same mold.

"Are you going to be as sweet as your daddy when you grow up?" She cooed to her daughter. Her husband, in her opinion, was probably the most doting father there was in the history. Speaking of James, today is his birthday and she had a great surprise plan for him. She grinned as she imagined the look on his face when he sees it.

The phone rang and Nadine answered it, thinking that it was James.

"Hello." She said happily.

"Hi bunso, expecting someone else?!" Coco teased.

"Kuya Coco! Where are you?!" Nadine scolded her brother.

"Listen Nadine, I want to..." Coco started talking but Nadine interrupted him.

"I want to talk to you in person."

She wrote a note for James, got the baby and left.

~

James came home early that day. Today was their daughter's five-month birthday. He had bought Amanda a remote-controlled flying fish and some dolphin stuff toys. He also bought a beautiful lab created white sapphire heart pendant and more flowers for Nadine. He was whistling as he went straight to the nursery but the baby wasn't there. He frowned but his face cleared up as he thought that the baby was probably with Nadine in their room. Even better, the two love of his life in one place. He grinned as he walked into the bedroom but it was empty. He spotted a note on the bedside table.

James,

Went to talk to Kuya Coco. Have to go.

<3 Naddie

James frowned as he reread the ambiguous note. He dropped everything on the bed and immediately dialed Nadine's number. her ringtone sounded somewhere in the bedroom.

"Damn, she left her phone!" Then the agitated James read the note again. This time he dialed Coco's number.

~

"Hello." Coco answered; somewhere in the background, Nadine and the baby's voice were noticeable to James.

James was relieved when he heard them. "Coco, can I talk to Naddie?"

He heard more voices and Coco came back with, " She doesn't want to talk to you." And hang up.

James stared blankly at the phone and redialed Coco's number but no one answered. After several more tries, he finally gave up.

What was going on here? James read the note again. Was Nadine upset with him? Was that why she didn't want to talk to him? All of a sudden, he thought about what Coco had said before.

"James, have you told Nadine the truth about what happened with Yassi?"

Was that what Nadine referring to? If so then...

James forced himself to calm down. He looked at his bulova precisionist Champlain collection in stainless steel with blue dial watch. "They should be home in an hour or so." He said to himself.

"Just take it easy, don't jump to conclusions. Nadine and Amanda should be home soon." He reassured himself.

Eight hours later, still no Nadine or the baby and James had increasingly gotten more frantic. He had been walking back and forth between the window that faces the driveway and the bedside phone. It was getting dark and still no word. Finally, he just lost it. He grabbed the phone and hurled it against the wall.