Chapter Two

****Sophie****

After sneaking my sandwich and iced coffee into the library I got started on typing up the biology paper I would need to send to my teacher by the end of the week. I had already drawn up a plan in class a few days ago and had started on a draft in the car while waiting for the boys at the bridge.

“It’ll be easier to check the internet” Dean’s voice echoed throughout the library. Geez didn’t these boys know anything about proper etiquette. “Shhhhh” The librarian hissed from behind her desk and Dean quickened his pace over to the computers like a dog with his tail between his legs.

Quickly I saved my work onto the USB and my email just in case I lost the USB, before turning my attention to Sam and Dean sitting down at the empty computer next to me. Dean took control opening up the internet and going to a search page for the Jericho Herald as Sam filled me in.

‘Female Murder Hitchhiking’ was typed into the search box and Dean clicked on the GO button resulting in zero results. “So basically all we know is that he was driving along the highway and he vanished…just like all the others” I commented as Dean changed his search phrase to ‘Female murder Centennial Highway’ resulting again in zero results.

“Let me try” Sam says as he tries to reach for the keyboard. “I got it” Dean growls slapping Sam’s hand away to which Sam retaliates by shoving Dean’s chair out of the way and fully taking over.

“Dude!” Dean complains hitting Sam in the shoulder. “You’re such a control freak” Dean mutters.  

“Play nice you two” I say in my best motherly voice before Sam turns to address Dean and I as if her were talking to small children. “So angry spirits are born out of violent death, right?” Sam asks rhetorically but Dean answers anyway “Yeah”.

“Well, maybe it’s not murder” Sam says in the same tone implying that we are children before he replaces the word ‘murder’ in the search box with ‘suicide’ bringing up an article.

“Suicide on Centennial” I murmur amazed as Dean glances at Sam in surprise as Sam opens the article. “April 25, 1981” I say committing the date to memory. “A local woman’s drowning death was ruled a suicide, the county Sheriff’s Department said earlier today. Constance Welch. 24, of 4363 Breckenridge Road. Leapt off Sylvania Bridge, at mile 33 of Centennial Highway, and subsequently drowned last night” I read sadly skimming the rest of the article quietly as Sam and Dean started talking.

“This was 187. Constance Welch, twenty-four years old, jumps off Sylvania Bridge, drowns in the river” Sam says without any emotion at all. “Does it say why she did it?” Dean asks obviously not bothering to read the article himself.

“Yeah” I say completely shocked feeling slightly numb. “What?” Dean asks looking between Sam and I. “An hour before they found her, she calls 911. Apparently her two little kids are in the bathtub. She leaves them alone for a minute, and when she comes back, they aren't breathing. Both die” Sam says and Dean raises his eyebrows Hm-ing to himself.

“Our babies were gone, and Constance just couldn't bear it,' said husband Joseph Welch." Sam reads from the article and Dean moves to get a closer look at the picture. “The bridge look familiar to you?” He asks us and both Sam and I take a closer look.

“Woah” I breathe out. “Pack up your stuff Sophie” Dean says standing. “Time to hit the road” Dean says and I freak internally for a second. “You mean I’m coming with you?” I ask amazed.

“Well we certainly can’t leave you alone” Sam answers before heading off to the printer to collect the article he just printed. “We should get some food first” Dean commented as I finished packing up my stuff.