Chapter Three

********Third Person POV*******

Dean sits at the table in the interrogation room with a bored look on his face. Sheriff Pierce enters the room carrying a brown box which he places on the table in front of Dean before sitting across from him.

“So you want to give us your real name?” The Sheriff asks leaning across the table slightly. “I told you, it's Nugent. Ted Nugent” Dean says unable to contain his smug grin. “I'm not sure you realize just how much trouble you're in here” Sheriff Pierce says in a tone that screams ‘authority’.

“We talkin', like, misdemeanor kind of trouble or, uh, squeal like a pig trouble?” Dean jokes trying his best to look serious. “You got the faces of ten missing persons taped to your wall” Sheriff Pierce points out causing Dean to look away.

“Along with a whole lot of Satanic mumbo-jumbo. Boy, you are officially a suspect” The Sheriff continues. “That makes sense. Because when the first one went missing in '82 I was three” Dean says sarcastically glaring at the Sheriff.

“I know you've got partners. One of 'em's an older guy. Maybe he started the whole thing. So tell me. Dean.” Sheriff Pierce says spitting out Dean’s name watching the surprise flutter across his face before tossing a brown leather-covered journal onto the table “This his?” He asks this time wearing a smug grin.

Dean stares down at the journal as the Sheriff sits on the edge of the table flipping through the journal. It’s filled with newspaper clippings, notes, and pictures just like the ones that coated the walls of the motel room.

“I thought that might be your name. See, I leafed through this. What little I could make out—I mean, it's nine kinds of crazy” Sheriff Pierce says seriously as he tries to get a reaction out of Dean who leans forward in his chair for a closer look at the journal.

“But I found this, too” Sheriff Pierce says opening the journal the a page that reads ‘Dean 35-111’ circled with black pen with nothing else on the page.

“Now. You're stayin' right here till you tell me exactly what the hell that means.” Sheriff Pierce says pointing down to the page that Dean is staring intently at. Dean spend a few more moments looking at the page before looking up at Sheriff Pierce.

**************Sophie***************

Sam and I drove to Joseph Welch’s house in silence, the house was small with rust and old pieces of timber holding it up while the yard was basically a scrap yard it was filled with so much junk. Sam takes the initiative to knock on the front door and we see a man walking towards us through the grimy, chain-link covered glass window.

“Hi. Are you Joseph Welch?” Sam asks when an older guy with a dirty singlet, open flannel shirt and grimy brown hat answers the door. “Yeah” he answers and Sam grins putting on his game face. “Can we ask you a couple of questions?” Sam says asks before gesturing to me “This is my assistant Sophie, we think a colleague of ours might have come to see you” Sam says pulling out a photo and handing it over to Joseph.

“Let’s take a walk” Joseph says before leading the way “You look a little young to be an assistant” Joseph directs to me. “It’s more of an after school think really” I say looking to Sam when he speaks. “Was this the man that came to see you?” Sam asks pointing to the photo.

“Yeah, he was older, but that's him” Joseph says handing the photo back to Sam and putting his hands in his pockets. “He came by three or four days ago. Said he was a reporter” Joseph mentions looking at me so I nod in agreement.

“That's right. We're working on a story together” Sam says sincerely nodding his head as well. “Well, I don't know what the hell kinda story you're working on. The questions he asked me” Joseph said in a defensive tone.