Epilogue

~A/N~

This is a lot shorter than my usual chapter, but I hope you like it anyway. I know I loved writing it :)

≡unedited≡

*******

Lorena's POV

"When I first met Zach..." He started as he stood up, and I immediately shook my head at how drunk he sounded. "We were roommates in university, and it didn't take us long to get our first impressions of each other. I don't know about him, but I thought the universe was playing a joke on me."

Most of the people on the room, the majority of them being Zach's family, laughed, along with his new wife. I swear I saw a smile on his face too.

"I mean... I was literally like, "is this a joke?" 'Cause he was everything I wasn't. He could stay in and play video games 24/7, while I could barely stand being inside for one night. He was a sci-fi freak, I hated everything that wasn't a comedy. He liked Coke, and I preferred Sprite."

At that last comparison people laughed again; I tried preparing myself for being angry with him, since he was so wasted his speech was probably going to turn out to be disastrous, but I only found myself laughing along. Talk about compromises.

"I honestly thought about asking for another dorm when I got to know him, I mean, we were just, polar opposites. I never thought we could get along. The only reason I stayed with him is because he always did the grocery shopping, and I always spent toilet paper like a maniac."

"Thanks man," Zach spoke and if not everyone was laughing before, they were now. Even Zach himself.

"No problem. So... yeah, we were pretty much like Ron and Hermione when they first met. But as cheesy as it sounds, we worked through that. We used to fight a lot, everyone near us complained about us, but then we started to get used to one another. Like over the months, the years, he became more loud and outgoing, and I guess I became more sensible, and sentimental. The change worked out for both of us, since now Zach's marrying someone who is so far out of his league- he's basically like an elementary school footie match in a small town, and Monica is the Olympics. And..."

Louis paused again as people started laughing again; I was too, but I stopped when I felt his hand on my shoulder. When I looked up at him, he was no longer holding the small piece of paper where his speech was written. He either had it memorized or was going to say something off the top of his head. I'd like to think he would make the guests laugh, but the look on his face was telling me a different story; his lazy smile was gone and for the first time during the entire evening, he looked nervous. If anyone was going to find this fun, it would be me.

"I'm just messing with ya, he's a good guy. But I remember all the times he talked to me about her, and how much he cares about her, and I just keep thinking... none of this would be happening or would they have even met, if he hadn't gone out with me and my other friends at least once. So yeah, hanging out with me turned out to actually be good for him. And... and, um..."

He paused again, his hand squeezing my shoulder as he looked down for a second or two. My guess was that he was too drunk and tired to even stand on his own, until he started speaking.

"The change was good for me, because..."

Oh yes, this is definitely what I've been waiting for.

"I wouldn't be sitting here either if I hadn't changed. I mean, sure, if he was getting married and I was invited, I'd physically be here, but I wouldn't be at this stage of life where I am at right now. I would probably be living in someone's basement, if not Zach's, covered in tattoos and piercings, getting rejected by every employer I ask for a job from, and pretend I don't know the reason for that. If these thoughts crossed my mind five years ago, I would have been completely fine with living like that. And now I'm starting to realize, if he hadn't pushed me into being a better man, I would be nowhere."