Chapter 48 - The Aftermath

AVA'S POV

I was instinctively drawn towards him as he kissed my cheek softly, his lips lingering a second longer than necessary, causing my heartbeat to throb loudly as the blood rushed past my ears.

There was a magnetism that silently surged between us, and I was so close to leaning forward and pressing my lips to his I could scarcely believe it.

"To congratulate you on all your hard work, all the hours you trained, and the way you blew everyone away today." He explained so earnestly.

I was quite awestruck. I wasn't expecting to see him after the competition ended today, let alone have him turn up at my door singing my praises. My brain was still a little scattered after my encounter with the ever so 'charming' Très.

It still puzzles me that Ryan keeps showing up, finding ways to support me, comfort me, give me strength to keep going, despite all of my flaws and the many ways I've failed him.

How did I deserve the love of someone so sweet? I knew from just looking at these flowers that they weren't the same as those organised by the judges. I couldn't help but smile as I imagined him carefully picking out these perfect, velvet-petal roses, deciding in a matter-of-fact way that bright pink gerberas didn't quite suit me.

I wondered if he knew that I was doing this for him, or how he would react if he found out.
But then again, I'd gone and come second when I needed to be first.

And now I'd have to watch Ryan take Melissa to Senior Prom, the last time we could enjoy ourselves before college acceptance letters came in the mail and changed everything for everyone.

I hadn't even spoken to Ryan about where he finally applied to. Suddenly I felt deflated; how long have we waited to be together, not able to give up on each other, but only for us to be separated by distance after all of this?

We would meet so many new people at college and gravitate towards people more like-minded to us than the friends we made in high school.

I love him, and I trust him. But we aren't even together right now, and how could either of us foresee possibly meeting someone new? Someone different?

I don't want to forever think of us as 'what could have been.' I don't want him to be 'the one that got away.'

"I know the flowers seem so formal, but I just wanted a way to let you know how proud I am of you." He continued sincerely when words seemed to get caught in my throat, threatening to make me choke up with tears of appreciation and gratitude.

'No. I refuse to give up now.' I decided resolutely as I carefully laid the bouquet down on my dressing table behind me.

Even if it ends up that we go our separate ways in college, that's only 1 possibility in any number of things that might happen in the future. I know what I'm feeling right now is real and I'll never forgive myself if I don't fight for this.

I can no longer let myself be scared to bare all that I am to him, for fear of him seeing ugly parts of me that might drive him away. As of right now, he's basically seen all of my flaws and my weaknesses, and yet here he is standing before me telling me he's proud of me, while I would want nothing to do with myself if I was in his shoes. He's experienced them in the worst possible way too; they've burned him countless times, and maybe left scars. Scars which I won't rest until I've done everything I can to heal.

I'm not saying that Ryan is perfect, he has his own flaws too. We're human, we all do. But he sees something in me that I can't seem to, and whatever it is, it's precious enough to him that he was willing to not just stay, but actively fight for me. Even when I was the opponent.