ch.24

I started to slam the door on his face when he held a hand up. 

"I can see her," he mumbled, glancing over my shoulder at Angie. I stood straighter, blocking his vew.

"Not anymore," I hissed. Liam narrowed his eyes at me. His initial politeness disappeared as he glared at me. I don't know why I was being a total ass to a total stranger, but he was looking at Angie and I didn't want him to look at her. Simple as that.

"Liam?" a soft voice called. Shit. Angie got up from the table and walked over to me. The moment her eyes met Liam's, she rushed to his arms and hugged him tightly. I gripped the side of the door for balance as something in my chest crumbled to pieces.

"Angie, I just wanted to stop by and wish you luck on the recital," Liam smiled, patting Angie's shoulder. I mocked his voice. Angie glanced at me over her shoulder, but decided not to say anything, which only annoyed me that much more.

"That's so sweet of you, Liam. Thank you," she gushed, hugging him again. Liam tucked a strand of Angie's hair behind her ear. I nearly puked on my shirt.

"Oh, it's nothing," Liam waved a hand. He scooted closer to Angie. My fists balled. "So I was wondering if you'd like to hang out after your recital," Liam offered, watching Angie's eyes. I turned to stare at Danny, who just sat there, eating casually. He was always overly protective of Angie, but why not know? Was I blowing this Liam kid's abilities out of proportion? Was he really harmless?

Liam took Angie's hands in his. Impulse numbed my reasoning. 

"No!" I shouted, slamming my fist against the side of the door. I wished I had hit Liam, but that would have scared Angie. 

Both Liam and Angie turned to me. "Are you ok Harry?" Angie spoke gently. I stared at her, my lips parted just a bit, but absolutely no words came out. I didn't really know how to formulate an answer for whatever it was that I was feeling. I didn't like this Liam kid. I didn't like that Angie liked him. And most of all, I didn't like that I didn't know what the hell my heart was doing in my chest.

I don't know. Goddamn it, Angie, you can hug him and smile at him and everything, but don't let him hold your hand. Please don't do that to me, Angie, I pleaded in my mind.

"No," I mumbled aloud. It was funny how extremely different one word could sound, depending on how I said it.

Liam gripped Angie's hand more tightly in his, realizing that that gesture is what pissed me off in the first place. I stared at his neck, trying to size up how hard I would have to squeeze before I popped the life out of him.

"So, what do ya say, Angie?" Liam smiled, turning the attention back to Angela. Angie looked down nervously. She needed help blowing this guy off, and I'd be happy to help.

"Well, I--"

"Angela has homework to do," I interrupted.

Angie looked up at me. Liam glared at me the moment she turned away. Oh, so he's two faced, eh?

"Tomorrow's Friday, Harry," she reminded me gently. I shrugged.

"So what? You have chores and-and other things to do around the house," I insisted. 

Liam opened his mouth to add a prissy comment, but I grabbed his arm calmly and led him out the door. Angie just stared at me, unsure what to do or say.

"Goodnight Liam!' I waved. "Don't come back now, ya hear?" I laughed, slamming the door in his face.

I turned around to a bright faced Angie, standing with her tiny fists balled up. I tried not to smile. She looked cute when she was angry.