Can't Help Falling in Love

She looked into his eyes. Those emerald eyes she used to look forward to seeing everyday. She could see the slight flickers of light behind his irises. She could no longer stare into their green depths. No longer bare to look at him. He had removed the bandages from around his torso. There were scars criss crossing around the skin. From his back there they were. Pure white and so bright they were almost blinding in contrast to the dark hair on his head. She closed her eyes and felt herself fall into him, his arms closing around her. She had not seen him for months. And now he was here. Back and safe to her. She had though he had fallen. Not her angel.

"You're back." she muttered after a minute of silence between the pair.

He nodded and buried his face into her hair, taking deep breaths. There were more scars on his chest. Puckered and red, still fresh from what ever fight he had gotten into. His eyes were stone and he held her tighter.

"I'm sorry." he told her, voice muffed by her hair. She traced the lines on his arms muttering an incoherent response.

"How long?"

"I don't know. He's hard to see sometimes." her angel replied. His hands moved up and down her arms, tracing shapes along the familiar skin.

"Tell me about your home." she asked, angling herself in order to burry her face into his chest. He smiled and leaned against the headboard, folding his wings back into their place to sit more comfortably.

"It's beautiful, love. There is no pain, no suffering. It's serene. Crisp, cool. Everything is already foretold. There is nothing to worry about." she closed her eyes as he spoke, envisioning something akin to a winter wonderland.

"Take me there someday?" she asked.

"Maybe someday." he said, but his voice held no conviction. It sounded sad.

She opened her eyes and snuggled closer to him. They fell into a comfortable silence until her angel shifted and sat up fully. She moved away from him and frowned.

"You have to go." she said. There was no question.

"Not for long. I'll be back tonight."

"I-" he hushed her.

"Don't say it, please." he begged and small lines formed on his otherwise perfect face. She nodded sadly and threw her arms around him.

"Come back to me. Please." she mumbled into his chest. He patter her back softly and stepped away from his love before vanishing into the air, leaving no trace of him behind.

She fell back onto her bed. They told her not to fall in love with an angel. But it was too late now. She might be going to hell and she may have damned him. But for the love of all holy, she was in love with that angel boy.