Chapter 4: Welcome 2 Detroit

Saturday, March 22, 2014: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), 2:00 P.M.

"We will now be boarding Business and First Class passengers. At this time, please make your way to the gate and have your boarding pass and passport ready. Enjoy your flight and thank you for choosing U.S. Airways."

I proceeded right away to the back of the line after hearing the announcement overhead. I tugged my dad along, him lagging behind and being a slowpoke. "Hurry up, we're going to miss our flight," I scolded lightly, jokingly.

"Relax," he laughed at me, "we're right on time. Take-off isn't until another forty-five minutes. They still need to board Economy Class."

"I know," I let out a sigh. "I'm just really anxious," I said, unable to hold in my excitement.

"It's going to be a two and a half hour flight. You think you'll be able to handle that?" he asked.

"That's nothing. I have enough songs on my iPod to last me longer than that," I said to him.

"Hm, I've been meaning to ask," my dad began. "Why did you want to come with me on this trip so bad?"

"Uh," I paused. "It's just the hometown of my favorite artist I listen to," I vaguely explained, chucking lightly.

He raised a brow. "Is it Eminem?"

I nearly choked. "...how did you know?"

Cracking a smile, he shook his head at me. "You've been obsessed for a long time now. I know. Plus, the bag you're carrying with you?" he glanced down.

I nearly forgot. I ordered a red, faux leather "Slim Shady" handbag weeks ago from the internet. I've been taking it with me everywhere ever since the day it arrived in the mail. It was my prized possession. I looked down at it, smiling bashfully. I guess it couldn't be hidden from my father.

We inched closer and closer to the boarding gate, my heart racing the entire time. We soon made our way in and found our seats on the plane. My dad and I conversed on, mainly about what to expect when we got there, certain procedures, and more. 

On the actual flight, after take-off, he took the time to go over more about our hotel location, safety measures, and how he's giving me this opportunity to go around Detroit independently as a young adult while he does business. He told me he's putting his full trust in me since he wants me to give me a chance to experience this all on my own. I couldn't be more grateful. He also mentioned that the trip was originally going to be for a few days but since he's treating it more like a vacation, we'll be spending eight days there. We will be leaving Sunday morning, the 30th, in order to return before the start of the week. 

He talked for about an hour as we were up in the air. The last hour we relaxed, me listening to various music on my iPod. I began drifting off to sleep, being tired from all the anticipation, as we got closer to our destination.

I woke up to the sound of the captain over the intercom telling us to prepare for landing and to make sure our seat belts were buckled. I instantly glanced out the window. I saw the tops of buildings and patches of green beneath me. Also, the giant river in plain view: the Detroit River. I nudged my dad as we began to land. 

Detroit, here we were.

Several hours later, after we retrieved our luggage and took a taxi to our Inn, we settled into our nice, comfy, hotel room. It wasn't much but it did have two beds, a television, and free Wi-Fi. Also, it had a pretty nice view from outside our window. I couldn't complain.

Our hotel at the Hampton Inn & Suites Detroit-Canton was technically in Canton in between Detroit and Ann Arbor (Ann Arbor being where my dad needed to be, Detroit me). It would take about twenty-five minutes for each of us to get where we wanted to be so it was fair game for the both of us. I was happy it worked out like that.

As my dad was busy checking out the business center at the hotel, I made myself at home. I unzipped my luggage and laid everything out in the room where I would be most comfortable with it for the next week and one day.

I took a look at everything I packed and noticed I brought along all my favorite items I owned in my wardrobe. From dresses and crop tops and cute shorts and nice jackets, to heels and flats and beanies and tons of accessories, I was content. The weather was still cold but warming up slightly so I wanted to make sure to pack a lot, just in case, for any given temperature and situation. I heard Michigan's weather could be unpredictable.

I even packed all of Eminem's merchandise I owned including his some CD's, some tees and tanks, a replica "AA" pendant necklace of his he would always wear, and even a gray beanie that looked identical to B-Rabbit's in 8 Mile. Also, my handbag from earlier, which was now set on top of the bed. 

Looking at everything, it reminded me of how ridiculous this all actually was. What were my hopes even all up for? For what I was thinking, how slim my chances were of running into Eminem. Since when does that ever occur, for an overly obsessed Stan to run into their celebrity crushes? Nil, nada, squat. I have a greater chance of becoming a singer (when singing and me was definitely not something you'd put in the same sentence) than bumping into him. This brought me down as reality came crashing down on me, again.

I let out a heavy sigh as I zipped up my luggage and jumped on the bed. I kicked my bag off the bed, deciding to put on the TV to get my mind off of such silly things.