Chapter 15

Novalee

     Deacon called and arranged for someone to run the kitchen for lunch so that we could go and see Sawyer and MerryAnne. I quickly showered and dressed in excitement. Hopefully meeting MerryAnne will keep my mind off of my father. The other day Marcie suggested I call him and ask why he did what he did.

     The way she talked, I'm pretty sure she already knows the answer to that question. But she insists that my asking it will help me settle things for myself and allow me to ease into normal life. I'm afraid though. I don't know why, but just the thought of hearing his voice on the phone, even with two states between us, petrifies me.

I bound down the stairs and find Deacon packing up the muffins we made this morning. I'd never had occasion to make them growing up, so Deacon decided to teach me how to make lemon poppy seed muffins this morning. We got a little side tracked and had a bit of a war with the flour though, hence my need for a second shower today.

"You missed a spot." I tease as I hop onto the counter and wipe an imaginary spot on his nose.

"Well I probably wouldn't have done that if you had helped me with the clean up." He raises an eyebrow at me and tosses a muffin at my face. I catch it with a laugh and hop off of the counter with my bounty.

"Let's go you horn dog." I make a run for the garage as I hear him lumber after me.

"Horn dog?!" He yells out with mock outrage, "Is that what you call the man who professed his undying love for you? Who promised to wait until the end of days if need be for you to be ready? Huh?" He puts the basket of muffins into the back seat and then climbs into the drivers side.

"You never did any of that." I state matter of factly, "You told me you loved be but there was no undying proclamation, no heartfelt promises." I shake my head pretending to be sad.

"Well I just did, so I think you should take the horn dog comment back." Deacon nods his head firmly before he starts the car and backs out of the garage.

"Oh really? So that wasn't you grinding on me with massive morning wood this morning?" I raise another eyebrow at him as a blush hits his cheeks.

"It's a normal male reaction! It happens, I can't control it! I was still asleep, and dreaming about you if that matters at all!" He rants, his dimples pop out when he scrunches up his face like that.

I laugh and lean over to kiss his dimple before I let him off the hook.

"Ok, babe. I'm sorry about the horn dog comment. Next time you can hump my leg as long as you want." I howl with laughter as he throws me a glare. He grumbles about not being able to get payback while driving, and I just turn on the radio for the rest of the drive to the hospital.

***

     Sawyer texted us the number to MerryAnnes recovery room, so as soon as we pulled up to the hospital we went straight up. The door was open, so I just gave it a light tap to announce our presence before stepping in.

     Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are still here, sitting together on a couch by the window drinking coffee. Sawyer is sitting in a chair right next to the bed, but looks like he's being careful to keep to himself.

     MerryAnne is looking much better than the last time I saw her. Her hair is a rich, golden blonde with many different shades strewn throughout, it falls down to her waist in large, bouncy curls. Her eyes are a light brown, but they look almost lifeless and dull. Which is understandable, I guess I would probably have the same look in my eyes if I were her.

"Hi?" She says quietly, making it sound like a question. Her eyes flicked to Deacon nervously and we both notice her subconsciously lean away from him. He slowly hands me the basket and sits in the chair next to her parents, attempting to look small and harmless.