Chapter One

A cool breeze blew into the warm air, making it very refreshing to those who take walks in the evening. Trees were flowing with rhythm to the wind. A tiger-ish orange color with a touch of violent painted across the sky, making it a wondrous sight that is liked to be viewed again and again. Chirps from jumpy crickets, the hooting of owls, rustling of the leaves, the peaceful and relaxing sound of nature's music. Deep through the forests of the Floating Island, lies its guardian. A red echidna rests on top of a tall and ancient shrine, that holds a great sight, the Master Emerald. It was also guarded by the crimson monotreme, for it was his life's job.

The echidna opened his violet eyes, and sighed. He really enjoyed evenings like this. When he can reflect on the things around him, his past, his present, even his future. He would often dream about his echidna race, the Knuckles Tribe. They had been wiped out four thousand years ago by Chaos, a water god-like creature that used to guard the Master Emerald and chao. Chao are very friendly species that are considered companions and pets to the person who befriends them. The chief leader of the Knuckles tribe was , who attempted to steal the Emeralds for power and for his own selfish desires. ,, his daughter and close friend of Chaos and the chao, highly disliked this idea, worrying that it would upset Chaos and it would bring wrath to them, but Pachacamac did not want to hear it. His warriors surrounded the shrine and tried to consume the energy from the Master Emerald, causing violence which affected both chao and Tikal. Chaos, in a fit of rage, absorbed the negative power of the seven Chaos Emeralds, and transformed into . As a result, it became a massive water creature. Floods destroyed the civilization, and Chaos avenged its Chao family. In order to prevent Chaos from destroying the world, Tikal linked her consciousness with Chaos' with a prayer, and sealed them both into the Master Emerald. They stayed there until four thousand years later, when Dr. Ivo Robotnik aka Dr. Eggman has disrupted the rest Chaos and Tikal were in. Eggman had figured out power and chaos energy that Chaos had owned, and he decided to abuse this power into destroying the world. Until well known blue hedgehog known as Sonic the Hedgehog, along with the guidance of Tikal the Echidna and his friends, they were able to defeat Chaos. Chaos and Tikal was at peace once again and was sent away into the heavens. It had been a year since Tikal and Chaos had occurred.

As the echidna reflected upon this, he was interrupted by an incredible wind speed that past by him. He instantly stood up and looked to the right, where the direction of the wind had past by. There stood in front of him was a blue hedgehog, waving his index finger in the air and flashing a cocky smile towards the echidna. "Hey Knux, long time no see!" The echidna, named Knuckles, crossed his arms across his chest and huffed, with a small frown forming on his face.

"Sonic, what are you doing here?"

"Just taking a quick run for some fresh air. Been in Tails' workshop for a while, it was getting a little stuffy in there. No offense but it was kinda boring in there, I wasn't gonna just sitting there doing nothing. So I decided to go out for a bit. Plus Tails was getting a little frustrated with my 'fidgeting', too." the blue hedgie replied, he added with his hands forming the 'quote on quote' gesture.

"..Okay... but why does it have to be on ANGEL ISLAND though? There's plenty of other places you could go to." Knuckles asked with an attitude, a little pissed that his evening had been interrupted.

"Yeah, I guess....BUT! I wanted to see how my good friend Knux was. You know, just being the good friend everyone wants." Sonic smirked.

Knuckles just simply stared at the blue hedgie in disbelief. And to think he would ever get any peace here on Angel Island. It's not like he dislikes Sonic or anything, just maybe kind of jealous. The thought that Sonic could go anywhere he wanted, and not be holded back by responsibilities and duties that were like a life sentence. Yeah Knuckles could go on missions with Sonic and his friends, but that's probably the only time he gets to go out. Not for fun or games, or anything interesting to do. Watching Sonic now, just speeding in and out of cities and countries at his own will, makes him envy Sonic. Heck, all he wanted to do was get off of Angel Island and see new things, experience them. He wants to taste the exotic foods, to feel emotions and and touch, to hear the beating rhythm of music flow in his ears. He wants it all.

"Hey Knux, Knux? KNUCKLES!!!!!"

Knuckles woke up from his dream state with a simple blink. Then turned towards a concerned hedgehog. "Knux you're alright? You kinda spaced out there." Sonic asked, as he sat down on the first stair of the long staircase. Then signaling for Knuckles to sit as well.

"Sonic....it.....it's nothing really."

"Course it is Knux, you're my homie. You can tell me anything." Sonic assured Knuckles.

"I know I can tell you. Look...Sonic.... do you know what it's like to be hold down by responsibility all your life? Freedom taken away from you?"

Sonic turned his head with a puzzled look. Honestly, he wasn't expecting Knuckles to say anything like that. Now that he mentioned it, it does seem like he's always running around. Nothing much to worry about, just running around carefree about the world. Heck, even when 'Eggbutt' threatens the world, he still doesn't worry. It's not really a responsibility. He'd always enjoy kicking Eggman's butt. It was....fun. It was exciting. It was the best feeling to ever have. With Knuckles, he has to stay here on this island and guard it and the master emerald night and day. When does he ever get to relax without having to worry if something bad's gonna happen? That's a lot to deal with, especially having to deal with the loss of his race.

Sonic looked back at the red echidna, who was now looking ahead at the ocean of trees. He sighed a little, reflecting on the new found discovery. A little light bulb popped outta nowhere on top of Sonic's head, obviously signaling that he got some sort of plan up his sleeve ....er...quills. "KNUCKLES! KNUCKLES!!" Sonic screeched as he lunged at Knuckles, wrapping his arms on top of Knuckles shoulders. Over excited about his idea. "WHAT?!" yelped the poor echidna, slightly overwhelmed because he could have gotten a heart attack from the sudden loudness of his hedgie friend.

"Knux, I know the exact thing to do for you my friend." the blue hedgie said, calming down a little.

" Wha... you do?"

"Yeah, first off, we need to get the master emerald in a safe place, while you're off this island."

"No Sonic, that's not gonna work. Don't you think that the master emerald's own guardian would've figured that out? Otherwise I wouldn't have to worry about it." Sonic stifled in a chuckle, look who's talking. Sonic then stood up on the top stair, with a big confident smile spreading on his face.

" Believe me Knux.... We're gonna get ya off this island for a long time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~