Chapter 1

I was thrilled when Schick Quattro YOU™ commissioned me to write a story about backpacking because enjoying nature is one of my favorite things to do! I find being outside and having a moment to decompress can really help when I'm struggling or have writer's block. I hope you take some time for yourself today to decompress and relax even if it's reading this story. Enjoy!

Chapter 1

Grace McCaffery knew two things. One, her best friend, Kristy could talk someone's ear off, and two, if Grace didn't get off the phone, she would be late for her part-time job.

"That sounds amazing," Grace murmured as Kristy went on about her internship. She checked her watch. Ten minutes and she still had to change. "I should—"

Kristy sighed happily. "Being here and doing all this, it just...it's starting to feel real, you know? Like I really can do anything."

Grace wasn't a jealous person by nature but hearing about her best friend's exploits had her feeling green. Both had gotten their degree in International Relations, but while Kristy was off visiting foreign lands, Grace was stuck in her hometown of Banner Hill.

Banner Hill wasn't a bad place to live. Like most small towns, it had that friendly and trusting atmosphere that came when everyone knew everyone. Heck, her parents didn't even lock their front door when they left. But while Banner Hill was the picture of apple pies and warm smiles, the town never changed. Mr. Fairchild still taught seventh-grade math, the ice cream shop on Fourth Avenue still sold the same flavors, and Mrs. Bridgeport still knitted those horrible sweaters that everyone pretended to love. And for Grace, that was a problem. How could she grow and change in a town that was against the very thing she was trying to do?

After hanging up with Kristy, Grace quickly changed into her uniform—khaki pants and a black polo. Then she took out the hair clip at the top of her head and shook out her mahogany curls. Rushing to the vanity, she added a little mascara and a quick swipe of her favorite lip gloss.

She was tying her shoes when her mom called out, "Grace! Do you want me to pack you a lunch?"

"I'm good," she yelled back.

"What about a little snack? I have apple slices and some peanut butter."

Grace was appreciative of her parents letting her move back into their house, but they acted like she was a kid, not a twenty-two year old with a college degree. "That's okay, Mom. I can always get something there if I need to."

"You sure?"

"Yup."

"Okay. What time will you be back?"

Grace sighed. It was going to take time getting used to living with her parents again. She just wished it would happen faster. "My shift ends at five."

"Just in time for dinner. Is roast beef okay with you? I know it's your favorite."

A wave of shame washed over Grace. Here she was complaining while her mom was only thinking about her. "Sounds perfect. Do you need me to bring back anything?"

"I don't think so. I'll text you if I do."

When Grace finally arrived at Banner Market, the local convenience store, she was ten minutes late. "I'm so sorry," she told Meg, the manager. "Won't happen again." She couldn't afford to be making mistakes already. She'd only started the cashier job a few days ago.

Luckily, Meg was lenient. "Just be sure to mark the correct time."

Grace gave her a grateful smile, then took her spot at the register and began ringing up a customer. The hours passed, and finally, someone came to relieve Grace for her lunch break. Grace picked up a sandwich from the local deli and ate.