Chapter 4

By the time they reached their campsite, Grace was no further in getting either girl to trust her than before. In fact, Ash actively avoided her now, always going in the opposite direction of Grace. Well, Grace got the hint. Pushing Ash to open up only resulted in pushing her farther away.

However, she did notice Ash sending Pacey covert looks every so often. Usually when Pacey was off by himself. It was clear Ash had a crush on him, but it hard to tell if Pacey felt the same way. Corrine noticed too and would roll her eyes every so often when Ash found ways to be near Pacey.

"Corrine?" Grace called. "Can you help me set up the tent? Ash-you can start heating up water for dinner."

Miles had brought a portable stove that heated up water and several packages of dehydrated meals such as spaghetti, chicken and rice, and mac and cheese. All they had to do was boil the water and add it to the packets.

Ash protested loudly but complied. Occasionally, Grace would check in on her, but Ash seemed to have it well in hand.

"I'm going to check out the river," Ash said once she was done.

Grace, who was unzipping the door of their tent, replied, "Okay, but be careful."

"Yes, Mom," Ash responded sarcastically. She stomped away, kicking up dust.

Grace shook her head. That girl could try a priest. She just wished she could break through somehow. Turning to Corrine, Grace held out a hand. "Can you toss me those bags? I'll set up our stuff inside."

About ten minutes later, Grace surveyed their tent with a sense of pride. It was small, but it neat and clean. It'd serve them well for the night. Stepping outside, she sniffed.

The acrid smell of burnt plastic wafted through the air. Sniffing again, Grace looked around the campsite then let out a curse. Ash had left the packages of food too close to the open flame, and now they were all on fire. Racing over, she pulled them away and dumped a bottle of water over them, dousing the flame.

Miles ran over with Pacey and Hugo not far behind. "What happened?"

"Dude, is that dinner?" Pacey asked.

"I hope not because it's all just ash now," Hugo replied.

Corrine looked over Grace's shoulder and let out a moan. "Now what are we going to do? That was the only food we had."

Pacey scratched the back of his head. "Think any restaurants will deliver out here?"

"Don't be an idiot," Corrine shot back.

"Don't call him an idiot," Ash replied, coming back from the river. Her face turned to horror when she saw the pile of charred packages on the ground.

Corrine rounded on her. "No, I should be calling you that. You were the one in charge of dinner and now look what happened."

"No one's an idiot," Grace stated firmly. "And we don't call people that. It's disrespectful."

Corrine threw up her hands. "What does it matter? Dinner's ruined. I knew I should have done it instead of sticky fingers over there."

Sticky fingers? What did that have to do with anything? But then Grace saw Ash's face, and everything clicked. Ash must have stolen something. That's why she was arrested, and that's why she was in the program. Grace glanced at Miles, and he confirmed her suspicions with a nod.

"Way to go, Ash. Now we don't have anything to eat," Pacey said.

Ash's head dropped to her chest but not before Grace saw the telltale sheen of tears. It broke Grace's heart to see the girl so distraught. Grace wanted Ash's walls to come down, but not like this. Not at the expense of her pride.