Control

"You will always be one step behind, Shepard."

"You son of a-" Shepard spun in annoyance, but the expletive died on her lips. The figure once again stood in the middle of the room, but the bluish glow that normally radiated off his skin was conspicuously absent.

"Surprised?" he sneered in amusement.

"What of your lofty words about caution? I could kill you right now!"

"Would you enjoy that? To gun me down? You'd probably even consider yourself a hero, wouldn't you?"

"Not just me, countless people would be better off if you were dead."

"Perhaps, or perhaps you've fooled yourself into thinking that." He shook his head sadly, "regardless, I'm not careless enough to come here alone," the shadows shifted slightly and a second figure stepped out of the darkness, "I believe you've already met Mr. Leng?"

Kaidan stepped to her side, shoulders tensing at the added threat.

"So, you kill us, and then what?" Shepard asked, "the reapers have the catalyst, you told them about it! What's your excuse for that? What's your twisted reason for handing over the one thing that could save us all? You can't still believe you're going to control them?"

"I-" the Illusive Man looked confused for a moment, before shaking himself, "of course it's all part of my plan."

"You're indoctrinated, they're controlling you!"

"I'm not! I'm trying to defeat them!"

"I saw a security feed in one of the medical labs, a video of your surgery. You put that technology in your head!"

"That was necessary! All our research, all the data we received from Sanctuary - we've discovered a way to control their armies. With these implants, I can turn every husk, every abomination against the reapers!"

"No, you can't!" Shepard lowered her gun slightly, infusing her words with every last ounce of persuasion she had, "why can't you see that?"

"You're lying!" His hand shifted slightly revealing a small pistol, "I can't be indoctrinated!"

Kaidan and Liara moved as one, pushing forward as Kai Leng jumped in front of his boss - blue energy rippling from his hand into a shield. A gunshot rang out, echoing across the room, and Leng's outstretched hand wavered for a moment. The shield flickered slightly before fizzling out as he toppled sideways, eyes blank.

The room froze, all sound snuffed out as its occupants paused in stunned silence. Shepard, her team crouched in front of her, and the Illusive Man, arm raised, a wisp of smoke curling from the gun he clenched in his fist.

"He'd become unnecessary," the haughty figure shrugged in indifference, head dipped slightly as he studied the body on the ground. "A shame really, he was a pleasant upgrade to Miranda, but he was going to kill you to protect me, Shepard, and we couldn't let that happen."

"But," she blinked rapidly, confusion overwhelming any ability to make sense of his words, "you brought him here to kill me!"

"Ah, yes," he straightened slightly, meeting her gaze, and she shuddered as she realized his enhanced eyes now glowed an ominous red, "we did, but plans change. Killing you is too easy, too hollow. We see that now."

The Illusive Man stepped back, cradling the gun in both hands, "it is time for you to go."

"What do they want?" she asked frantically, "tell me, and I can help you!"

"This vessel has served its purpose," the barrel of the gun swung upwards, pressing against his temple.

Blood spattered across the dark tiles.

<><><>

"I don't like this," Garrus snarled, curling a talon around the rifle in his hand, "they should've killed you when they had a chance. Why did they hesitate?"

"I agree," Tali spoke up, "they want you down there."

"You cannot go, Shepard," Liara paced the room, wringing her hands nervously, "it is too dangerous. We can help Anderson retake the Citadel without you."

Shepard sat in silence as her team expressed multiple reasons to keep her on the Normandy when they reached Earth. She glanced slowly around the conference room, desperate to memorize each face, until her gaze fell on the one member who hadn't said a word. He stood across from her, arms crossed, eyes solemn as he stared at the table.

He glanced up as she studied him, meeting her questioning expression with a sad smile. He wouldn't try to convince her to hide on the ship, to cower in the face of unknown dangers.

Because he respected her enough to stay silent.

Because he knew her better than anyone in the room.

Because he understood.

She had to go.