Roots

Frisk slowly opened her eyes, finding herself...on a bed?

She quickly sat up, looking around frantically. She appeared to be in a room, the corners of the wallpaper seeming to curl at the tops,but other than that, the room was in top condition.

She brought her hand to her face, finding what felt like petals on her skin. She quickly came to the realization that they were petals, her eyes widening in horror. She quickly tried to rip it off, but felt an immense pain around her soul, causing her to instantly let go.

She tried again.

But the pain was too much to bare.

She swallowed, slowly tracing her skin, feeling the roots bump out where they had entangled themselves with her muscle and emerged right under the surface.

She felt about five flowers on her face, four on her left arm, one on her right arm, six on her left leg, three on her right leg, and ten on her torso, one particularly large one place right above her heart and soul.

She was about to exit her bed, when suddenly a figure opened up the door, causing Frisk to jump from being startled.

It was... a frog?

The frog -like monster dragged itself slowly into the room, seeming to be too weak to hop. It looked up at the child pathetically.

Frisk looked down in horror at the monster, for, it wasn't eyes that were peering up at her. Instead, there were two, large, buttercup colored flowers boring through her.

The monster was covered in flower blooms and blossoms, so much so, it was now barely recognizable as a creature to begin with. It was quivering from how weak it was, opening its mouth as if it wanted to speak but was no longer able to push sound through its throat. Its legs shook then gave out from under it, the frog now flat to the ground, its breath slow and not following any pattern.

The child's eyes were shot wide with panic and fear. She had no idea of what to do. But, something in her soul made her want to reach out, despite how scary and mangled the creature looked.

She cautiously stepped down from her bed, kneeling next to the monster. She reached down, picking the small creature up, and cradling it in her arms. She hummed a tune that reminded her of what a home feels like as she rocked back and forth.

The monster seemed pleased, a weak smile creeping across its face.

Frisk was filled with determination.

But unfortunately, the monster was not.

The creatures eyes slowly closed, its breath hitching onto its last release. The monster's body relazed, crumpling into dust in the child's arms.

Horror. Frisk's jaw gave loose, a scream escaping, clawing itself out of her throat, her body quaking and her voice rang through the once peaceful air. Panic pulsed through her body as she stood up, scrambling backwards until she bumped into the bed she was placed in before. She looked at her now dust covered hands in horror, her screams not ceasing.

What happened?

Why'd it turn to dust?

Did it die?

Frisk felt a twist her soul, causing her legs to fall weak as she fell back to the ground. She grabbed at her chest as she felt pain seize her body.

Frisk gained LOVE.

The it happened again.

More LOVE.

More.

More.

More!

Frisk hated the feeling, the feeling for LOVE taking over her body. But, she didn't know what that was yet, nor what it meant.

She cried out for help.

But nobody came.