Chapter Three: The Angel And The Dragon

~ o ~  

You're here

Like lightning in my veins

Now they see me

And they'll never be insane

Your whisper found its way

Calling me to stay

~ o ~

Two Hours Later

Soft breathing filled my ears as I looked down to see Angela's sleeping form. I smiled.

"I guess she was more tired than she let on,"

I turned off the TV before carefully lifting her into my arms. I couldn't help but stare at the peaceful look on her face.

"I haven't seen her look so happy before...so at ease and not worrying about trying to save others, this is a look I could get used to,"

I carried her over to the bed and placed her down before drawing the covers over her. I then gently lifted her head before sliding a pillow underneath it. Once I was satisfied that she was comfortable, I walked into the bathroom.

We decided to watch a movie, some kind of action-thriller involving a hero named James Raynor...or something like that. Truthfully, I didn't care what it was about, only that I was spending the time with her in my arms. It was enjoyable, but she had fallen asleep about twenty minutes before the end of it. I had hoped she would eat the sandwich I made her downstairs seeing as we didn't get to eat dinner after all the time on the roof, but she was clearly tired. I turned the door, flicked the lights on and removed my shirt as I began to examine myself.

"Even after all this time...I'm still not used to seeing this,"

My scars and wounds had healed over time and though my torso and head were in perfect condition, my limbs were not so fortunate. I felt physically weaker when I wasn't wearing the full suit, but I had learned to embrace it. I was still very much a man, but my limbs were mechanical. Overwatch took great care in allowing my hands to feel just about every sensation that my human hands would...but even now, I still felt an outcast. I had to hide my augmentations from public view else I risked being alienated. I knew that Angela was fine with it...but there was still insecurity beneath it all.

"I guess I haven't completely let go of the past...my pride is still very much intact,"

I let out a deep sigh before reaching for my sweater which I planned to sleep in. After putting it on, I began to wash my face. Though I knew my limbs were fake...I could still feel everything as if they were real. After washing it off, I wiped my face with a towel and peered back into the mirror. For some reason, I just couldn't shake my insecurity. Perhaps it was because I've never had a reason to look at myself in such a way, maybe it was because I still longed for a real body again...

"Or perhaps I'm worried of what she thinks of me..."

"Genji?"

I immediately turned around to see that she had woken up and was looking at me using the mirror. She evidently saw the conflicted face I had and approached me before laying her head on my shoulder.

"What's wrong?"

Her tone was very concerned, to the point of expressing deep worry. I shook my head and let out a heavy sigh.