Scars & Stories

My head aches and a heat holding no warmth floods my face. I feel sick to my stomach and my vision begins to blur. I can't see properly, but I realize it's because I'm crying. No, not crying, because that's an understatement. Sobbing hysterically would be a more accurate description.

I should have never left.

Pain keeps washing over me like tsunami tides, as does fear. Fear of the future, fear for my life, and fear from the realization of what is occurring.

The world around me is a dangerous and unforgiving place. Icy rain thunders down from the heavens, while bullets tear through the air. Bombs are going off in the distance and draw closer with every passing moment.

With the danger becoming increasingly near, what will become of me?

Guttural sounds escape my throat and blend with the sirens and other noises that fill the atmosphere. An explosion shakes the earth below my feet and all the previous noise created is completely washed out.

The pain racking through my body is too much to bear, and what little strength I have dissipates, causing my knees to buckle. I collapse to the ground with a shriek of pain. My upper body is hovering just inches from the muddy earth, held up by the chains. My arms are outstretched behind me with my wrists shackled. My body is dead weight and without the strength to pull myself into a sitting position.

The strain in my arms increases. The chaos around me fills my head and it's difficult to focus. I'm too exhausted to cry any longer, but my breathing is still labored. It feels as though an anvil is weighing down on my chest, crushing the air from my lungs.

All warmth inside me has seeped into the surrounding air and pain quickly claims its spot. I fear I'm losing consciousness as quickly as I'm losing blood. The skin of my back is in shreds and my blood mixes with the rain in puddles surrounding my body. If the bullets don't kill me, the loss of blood surely will.

Another explosion goes off and I hear the wailing of the soon to be deceased, but then a ringing begins in my ears and all other sound becomes far more distant, until I'm left with only the ringing.

I begin losing consciousness more quickly as the chaotic world around me begins to darken and blur together. Somehow I'm still aware of the rain that engulfs my frail body, and a sudden memory erupts in my mind.

I'm in the rain dancing with her in my arms as laughter fills the surrounding area. Its beauty is something that could only belong to her. We move in synchronization to a song only the two of us can hear. We hold each other close and I can feel the beating of her heart against mine.

Warmth fills my body along with something else, something that I've never experienced before. It is unexplainable in the way that no words could ever define it completely. An infinite number of other emotions proceed with it and seem to dance in the atmosphere, as she and I dance in the street.

Love.

That is what I am experiencing for the first time.

My heart races and she pulls away just enough to whisper something to me. Her lips tickle the skin of my ear as they move, but I hear nothing.

Nothing but ringing.

Coming back to reality is so startling that a scream escapes my throat like before, but I can't hear it. All the sudden I'm aware that someone is now beside me, speaking into my ear.

Could it be her?

I can barely move my head enough to see them, and of course it isn't her. How could it be? We're worlds away.

I'm not able to make heads or tails of the face before me because of how blurred my vision is. It suddenly retreats, though, and once again I'm alone.

The tension in my arms suddenly disappears and my chest collides with the earth below me. The same person who was beside me moments ago is now heaving me over his shoulder.

Am I possibly being taken away like the others, only to be lined up and shot? They most likely would've killed me by now so that must not be it. So then what could it be? A vague idea appears in my mind, and my hope once destroyed by a cruel state of affairs has now returned.

The person begins speaking again, but everything is fading, and I'm losing consciousness completely. My world twists and dips and turns while coming in and out of focus. At last it's swallowed by an overwhelmingly empty darkness, dragging me down with it.

°·.·°·.·°·.·°·.·°·.·°
A/N:
This is the first chapter of a story I never went anywhere with. I hope you enjoyed it!