Chapter 7

Xur in the picture above :p
____________________________

Kade continued to stare at the sky, where Xur disappeared, while I stared at him.

I didn't know where to start when it came to talking. All my suspicions of the things in the attic being real were true and now it was confirmed that I wasn't even human.

And according to Xur, no one knew what kind of supernatural I was.

My chest tightened with uncertainty and an emotion I didn't recognize as I began thinking about the fact that I was a supernatural. But how? I had lived my whole life as a human, or at least I thought I did. Was that why I had purple eyes? Was that why my hair was unusually darker than the rest of my family?

But how?! What was so wrong with my bloodline that Xur's kind, which I inferred were the Abominations my grandmother had mentioned, would want to get their hands on it? Why was it so important?

I remembered him saying my grandmother had burned herself alive just to keep them from getting their hands on our blood. That takes true bravery and determination, two things I didn't have.

My heart ached for Eliza.

I wanted to get home more than anything right now, back to my time period. I was at least a little glad that I was already with a Freelancer that could help me find answers. If Galendale was still around, then maybe Kade could introduce me to him and we'd work this whole thing out.

But something told me that that wasn't something to get very hopeful over.

I suddenly realized how I was taking this whole supernatural thing a bit too easily, even while knowing I was one of them. But for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to have a complete meltdown. Maybe that was a benefit of having supernatural blood? I wasn't sure but I figured it was a good thing, at least for now.

And then suddenly, another question hit me. Who was Salazar? He seemed to be the main concern right now, my main pursuer. He was obviously the leader of Xur's kind, but why was his focus on my blood and how did he know I was a descendant of Eliza?

How did he know I was here?

I shut off my thoughts when Kade looked back at me with guilty eyes. He took a step closer and stopped, as if thinking I'd run away if he came any closer. But I kept my back straight, showing him I was okay with him being near me.

I wasn't afraid, even though I should've been.

"Looks like I've got some explaining to do," he said softly, taking another step.

"Make that two of us," I added with a smile to lighten the mood. But he didn't smile back.

"Here's not the place to do it, though. Come with me. I'll get my friend to fix you up and then we'll talk," he urged, looking around as if to add to his warning that this place wasn't safe.

I reluctantly agreed and nodded.

***

We walked with me still draped over his shoulders for another ten minutes before stopping in front of a bar with lights and laughter radiating from the inside.

The sign on the front said "CLOSED" but Kade opened an unlocked door and we limped inside, being greeted by curious and concerned faces.

A couple of guys rushed to Kade's aid while a woman, seeming to be in her late twenties, with crimson red hair and bright green eyes, threw my arm around her neck and supported me on her own.