Chapter 25

I hesitated before leaving and bent over to help Kade as he continued to groan in pain. He pushed me away urgently and ushered for me to go. I hurried off in an instant, shouting for Odis and Maeve and searching for the witch's crimson hair. It shouldn't be that hard to find, right? But as I pushed through crowds of unsuspecting people, I found neither of them anywhere. With everyone wearing masks, it made my job even harder. Things got worse when people didn't have the decency to move out of my way as I tried to slip through. Some even started to push me around. Eventually, somehow, I ended up on a large balcony, all by myself. I tried to get back to the party but I was shoved right back outside into the chilly air.

Out of nowhere, someone jumped through a crowd of people and rushed towards me. I was highly confused when I realized it was Kade.

"Hey! Are you alright? I've been searching for you everywhere!" he said as he grabbed my shoulders and shook me slightly. He had an odd smile set on his face, which was no longer twisted in pain, and his eyes were set back to a crystal blue.

I squinted in confusion and tried to step back. "W-what is going on?" I stuttered. He also squinted, as if oblivious to what I was talking about.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"You said you sensed something wrong and started to freak out. You looked like you were in serious pain!" I cried. "I tried looking for Odis and Maeve like you said. What happened? Are you okay?"

He smiled again and laughed softly. "Yeah... I'm okay. I guess it was a false alarm."

"But Kade... your dark side was starting to show again," I whispered seriously. His smile remained.

"Like I said, false alarm. You shouldn't worry. I don't like it when you worry," he responded. One of his hands caressed my cheek as he pulled me close and removed both of our masks. Was it wrong to say I was worrying even more?

When he pulled my face close to his, my suspicion grew stronger. "Do you know how beautiful you look tonight?" he whispered. I only stuttered a low "uh" as he breathed against my lips. What the hell was happening? I didn't try to struggle but I let my puzzlement show in my expression. All he did was laugh and... and he kissed me!

It was a sudden shock and I couldn't believe it at first. But eventually I gave in and actually closed my eyes. It was something sweet and... tender. To be honest, it seemed too good to be true. It was like something I'd been waiting for... maybe I had been. Maybe this was my hidden feelings releasing for the first time.

Just as I started to fully enjoy myself, something I hadn't sensed before kicked in. Something like the spark of an unforgettable memory... something unpleasant. My head started to hurt with a familiar sensation and whatever I was feeling caused my arms to shove Kade away. He looked shocked and completely hurt as I glared accusingly at him.

"Who are you?!" I barked. "Because you sure as hell aren't Kade!" How I sensed that, I don't know. But I knew my mind wasn't fooling me. A few seconds passed before he started to laugh again, this one was a bit psychotic and not at all tender.

"You're a very smart girl. I wonder what gave me away?" he said as his body started to morph entirely. I was focused on his eyes when I noticed their crystal blue becoming swallowed by a blood red. His black hair started to lighten into a silvery color, mixed with strands of black. I bit back a scream as Salazar's face became fully morphed. His toothy grin sent me back against the rail of the balcony. "I guess your senses are getting stronger. I thought if I posed as your dear lover boy, I'd be able to get close to you again. I was on a roll for a second there. You were starting to enjoy that kiss," he added with a devious wink.

I gritted my teeth and pushed my back against the rail. "Stay away from me!" I growled. Defiantly, he moved closer.

"You know, Bella, if you would agreed to be mine, possibly even my wife, with my and your powers we could rule Hell together! Don't tell me you don't like the sound of having that much control," he said.