Chapter 12

Angelica began biting her nails vigorously.
    "Holy fuck," I whispered.
    "I know." Dalton massaged his temples.
It all made sense now. Their matching blue eyes and straight dark hair. They shared the same mother and father. They shared the same twisted mind. I snapped the book close, particles of dust flying into the air. I heard Angelica sniffle, which reminded me that she was still there. That I still had to save her from these monsters. Did they kidnap her too? Like they did me? I reached out and started combing my fingers through her long strawberry hair. She leaned against me.

We all heard it then, the sliding back door opened. We all held our breath.
    "Well where the fuck could he have gone?" Tony's voice.
    "Eh, he's around here somewhere. Couldn't have gone too far." Zeek's.
    "Is that bitch still in the bathroom?"
    "Yes," replied a female voice. Meredith. She thought I was still inside the house.
    "Angelica never came back?"
No answer.
None of us said anything. No one moved a muscle. And after a while it seemed as though they had all gone back into the house and maybe had forgotten to shut the door.
    But then I heard Tony say, "You checked the shed?"
Angelica sucked in a breath and I gulped. Dalton cursed, and got the gun into position.
    "It's locked." Zeek again.
All of us exhaled. But how had Dalton gotten in if it was locked?
    "Should we go back to bed?" Meredith asked.
    "If you don't mind your daughter being out here all night," Tony chuckled.
    "Hope she doesn't step on one of them bear traps," Zeek added, laughing.
Daughter? My blood suddenly ran cold. I shot a look at Angelica, my heart beginning to pound again. She met my gaze and held it for what felt like an eternity.
Jesus Christ, Angelica was Meredith's daughter.