Chapter 27

Father! Reality came crashing down on me like a bucket of ice-cold water emptied over my head. What had I done... Without thinking I buried my head in Éomer's shirt.

His arms went round me protectively. "I'm a fool," he whispered in Rohirric.

"What do you think you are doing!" my father exclaimed.

Éomer had gathered himself. "Imrahil, you must forgive me. I got carried away."

"Carried away? I should say so!"

I forced myself to straighten up and turn round. Red-faced and scowling, my father stood a few steps away from us, with my three brothers ranged behind him. Erchirion had one hand on Father's shoulder as if to hold him back. Next to him, Amrothos stood with his mouth open, still assimilating the situation. What did they think of me? Then I spotted Marshal Elfhelm behind them as well; he gave his king a helpless shrug. Heat of a different kind raced through me. Why couldn't the earth open up and swallow me!

"Unhand my daughter at once!" my father snapped.

I became aware of the fact that Éomer still had his arms around me. Reluctantly he let go of me, leaving me cold and vulnerable. My hair had come undone on one side and hung dishevelled around me. How could we have not heard them coming!

"Imrahil," Éomer said, "it is not as you think. I am here to ask for Lothíriel's hand in marriage."

Amrothos's eyes popped and he made a strangled sound, which might have been funny at another time.

Elphir, ever the diplomat, spread his hands. "Maybe we should discuss this in private?"

Father made a cutting gesture. "There is nothing to discuss."

Struggling to regain my composure, I stepped forward and took my father's hands. "Please, Father, do not be angry with us. I'm sorry we behaved in such an unseemly fashion. I was just so pleased to see Éomer again!"

Some of the fury drained out of him as he looked down at me. "It's not you I am angry with, Lothíriel," he said, squeezing my hands. He lifted his head to glare at Éomer. "But I am disappointed! I called you friend and came here to welcome you to my house. Never would I have thought to find you sneaking in behind my back and taking advantage of my daughter."

Éomer coloured. "You are right to censure me. I am entirely to blame."

I wanted to protest that I had not minded being taken advantage of, but behind my father's back Erchirion shook his head warningly, so I kept quiet.

Amrothos had found his voice again. "But...but..."

What if he mentioned us disappearing into Drúadan Forest! That would surely put an end to any hope I had of marrying Éomer. I cast my brother a look full of entreaty and he seemed to understand, for he closed his mouth with a snap.

"I only wanted to see Lothíriel briefly," Éomer went on, "to make sure she was all right after the ordeals of the war. I don't know what got into me."

Father's face softened slightly at this reminder that Éomer had saved my life in Rohan.

"Please, Father!" I pleaded. "We meant no harm."

He sighed. "Lothíriel, what an innocent you are!"

"I assure you, I came here with honourable intentions," Éomer said.

Father pulled me to his side. "For the sake of our friendship and because my daughter begs me to, I will forgive this incident. But if I ever catch you again..." He did not have to specify the consequences.