Chapter Two

Hey guys!  Here's chapter two!  If you like it I'd love a vote or comment!  

Six Months Later

Roberta tiptoed through the castle. It was still dark and she hoped she was early enough to slip out before the servants woke up. Today was her eighteenth birthday and she wanted a little time by herself before she was forced to endure the ball the prince was throwing for her. Normally she would be excited, but not this year. She should have seen it coming. Of course Scar Jaw liked having power over her and made use of it every chance he got.

"You should really be grateful," Marian had scolded her gently. "I'm sure it will be a very nice celebration. Prince John is going to great lengths for you."

"Marian, what is the name of that play that I hated?"

"I believe it was The Jester's Apple," Marian said.

"Guess what we'll be watching while he and the noblemen ride out on a hunt," Roberta growled.

"He must have forgotten you didn't like that one," Marian suggested.

"I find that hard to believe since I burned one of the scripts in the dining hall and he caught me doing it. Uncle Richard also promised, in front of the entire court and the prince, that I would be allowed to ride out on the hunt this year and guess who decided I can't go!" Roberta roared.

"He only has your best interest at heart," Marian said. "You really must try to think better of him," she said, smoothing down Roberta's hair. "You can't pick your family."

"He's not my family," Roberta muttered.

"Roberta!" Marian cried, popping her on the head. "How can you say such a thing?"

"With my mouth."

"You really ought to make the best of it. It's probably all just a mistake. People do forget," Marian said. Roberta snorted.

Since she hadn't been able to get out of the celebration, she decided she would have a good gallop in the woods and scare off all the game before the hunt started. After she passed the outskirts of the village she felt better away from the sights of poverty and the despondency of the people. She hated the ball not only for her own sake, but also because Prince John was using the people's money to pay for it. Outside of the castle and the village, she could almost forget the stifling presence of the prince and the misery of the people. If she could, she would have stayed out all day ducking branches and whooping like a madwoman. She was so thorough in scaring the game that even the birds stopped chirping It was only when she noticed her horse getting winded that she glanced at the sun. With a jolt she realized how high it was. Marian wouldn't handle it well if she came in to help get her ready and found her bedroom deserted. With a reluctant sigh, Roberta turned her horse back toward the castle. She was going at a good pace when, at the edge of the forest, her horse stepped on a branch that flipped up and dealt a stinging blow to its flank. With a scream, the horse kicked out and balked abruptly, throwing Roberta off. She hit the ground with a thud and gasped as the air was knocked out of her. Stars flashed as her horse bucked for a moment and then shot off toward the castle stables. After a few minutes of recovery, she realized she would have to walk.

"Oh, that's just great," she muttered between short breaths. She wiped off the blood from a scrape on her forehead and tried to regain her balance as she slowly got to her feet. Hopefully she could still make it back without scaring anyone, even on foot. Of course they'd ask questions when they saw her scrape, but the fact that she'd walked home would convince them that she was fine. Still, she would have to walk through the village and she hated that. It had only been seven months since the king left and yet they were almost to the point of desperation. They would all look at her when she passed because her nice clothes made her stand out. There was nothing she could do for them though. Prince John would never listen to anything she had to say and even if he did, it would only make it worse because he hated her and enjoyed causing her pain. Whatever she said, he would probably choose to do the opposite. It was unlikely he would listen to anyone unless his own life was in danger. If ever there was a time for a kingdom to be invaded, it was now.