Nobody Cared: King's Island

Nobody Cared: King's Island, New England, America - 15 Jun 1992

King's Island, off the coast of New England in America, was a beautiful island town that welcomed Wizarding ships from all over the world to their harbour. It thrived with the bustle of import and export, and boasted an island market on the weekends that featured fresh produce to amulets to toys to krups, kneazles, and owls.

On King's Island there was an Owl Post Office, The King's Island Press, Gringotts American Branch, The Book Wyrm, Cracked Potts Wonderful Gee Gaws, Truly Scrumptious Sweets, Madame Mim's Dropped Stitch, Wart's Pub & Inn, The Familiar's Beginning, Master Helpmann's Apothecary, and Thranduil's Wands & Staffs. Those were just a few of the shops to be found along the harbour where the tall ships moored to load or offload their cargo.

Severus had rented an old Victorian manse of three stories with a widow's walk above the large attic where Harry could often be found, with an old pirate's telescope, watching the tall wizarding ships, and the busy harbour. His room was on the third floor along with his father's room and Poppy Pomfrey's room. The attic, once used for storage, had been converted to an owlery. Hedwig and Fawkes occupied the owlery since becoming friends.

The second floor was the area of kitchen, dining room, reception room and parlor. On the first floor was a magical library that, after some magical work, had been connected to Severus' own private library back at Hogwarts. Lastly, on the first floor was a full potions lab that Poppy and Severus had worked together to create.

This slightly odd layout was the result of the front porch being attached to the second floor with steps leading up to it from the sidewalk. Therefore the front door was to the second floor.

Over the few weeks that Severus, Poppy, and Harry had arrived at King's Island the horrible events in the Dungeons Beneath the Dungeons at Hogwarts with Voldemort had begun to fade to near forgetfulness. Severus did not mind as this freed his son from any lingering nightmares. Correspondence with Lucius noted a similar fading of memories with his children, Draco and Hermione.

One evening as Severus, Poppy, and Harry ate on the front porch so they could watch the ships as their lights twinkled in the harbour, the Potions Master garnered their attention with a slight clearing of his throat.

"What's up, Dad?" asked Harry giving his father his attention.

"A few announcements, Harry," he began. Severus noted the slight worried bowing of his son's shoulders. "Both are rather good news, Harry. I assure you."

Harry breathed a sigh of relief, and then beamed at his father. "Okay."

"My first bit of news concerns Hogwarts. After some deliberation I have decided to retire from teaching and to devote my time to potions. I have also secured an empty shop in Hogsmeade for an apothecary."

"But, we don't have a house, yet, Dad!" Harry reminded him.

"Ahh, yes," he smirked. "As I recall you quite liked that cottage in The Yule Woods."

"Oh yeah! It had a great big yard and there were neighbours but not really close but you said if I made friends they could come over and play. It had a path down to a creek, and there were those neat lizards, too!"

"Oh! The Chameleon Lizards! I liked them," added Poppy as she, too, remembered the cottage Severus had talked her into seeing with them.

"Hm, so you did like it, then, Harry?" mused Severus. He glanced at Poppy whose cornflower blue eyes were dancing with an enchanting sparkle.

"Yeah..." he sighed. "But we can look at more houses if you want to, Dad."

Severus grimaced lightly. "I do not know about that, Harry. Did you not want to call it 'Lizard Cottage'?" Harry shrugged and stuck his fork into his mashed potatoes listlessly. "I suppose I shall call the realtor tomorrow and give her the sad news that we have decided otherwise..."