The Light Never Shines Once You're Gone

Sans walked to the big door in the forest, the wind blowing his jacket as snow landed on his skull. He waited to see if the kid, Frisk, would come through the door again. Seeing as they didn't, he made his way to the opening and knocked as loud as he could.

"knock knock" he said, sliding down the door on his back.

"Who's there?" said the feminine voice, giggling.

"sans"

"Sans who?" she asked, seemingly perplexed.

"just......Sans" he said, tapping the ground with the heel of his foot.

"Heh heh. Um... I can't believe I am saying this, but I don't get it." she giggled slightly

"eh, that's ok. But I uh, got a question for ya." he said, kind of embarrassed

"Oh! Sure." she replied, sounding nervous too.

"have you ever.....fallen in love?" he asked, shifting slightly.

It took her a while to answer. But when she did, it sounded sad. As if she was remembering a long lost memory.

"Well, yes, yes I have. It was a long time ago, though. But I remember it like it was yesterday. I had the best life..." she drifted off and grew quiet. They sat like that for a little while before she spoke up again. Embarrassment entering her voice once more.

"Why do you ask?" the lady's voice grew a little bit louder. So Sans could tell that she was leaning in. Eager to hear his answer.

"oh" Sans looked at the ground, his cheeks heating up at the thought.

"just asking."

There was a short pause before Sans decided it was enough tortue just to ask that question. By now, Papyrus should be fighting the human. And Sans can't miss it.

just in case.

"ok, um, i guess i'll talk to you later" Sans said apologetically

"Oh, well ok" the lady replied, disappointed.

"I look forward to speaking to you again." she said, hopefully

"yeah, see ya"

Sans listened for her footsteps to fade before he stood and teleported his way to Papyrus's area.

He passed a few monsters who waved and some who smiled. Humming, he walked through Snowdin until the wind started to pick up. Finding the two, he saw the human dodging some of  Papyrus's blue attacks. 

the kid hasn't done anything to him yet, good

He watched behind a nearby tree as the human was starting to talk. Sans couldn't hear what they said but by the look on Papyrus's face, it wasn't good.

Papyrus's face was flushed a bright orange as he stumbled a little. Lucky for Sans, his voice was loud enough for him to hear.

"WHAT?! FL-FLIRTING!?" Sans froze. He forgot about that part of the fight. And for some reason, Sans felt hurt. As if someone took his soul out of his body and crushed it.

"W-WELL! I AM A SKELETON WITH VERY HIGH STANDARDS!!!

The human said something inaudible as Papyrus responded with his famous line: "OH NO!!! YOU'RE MEETING ALL MY STANDARDS!!!" Sans cringed. He never felt this in any other timeline...at least, not as badly. The question he asked the lady aimlessly before rang in his head.

have you ever fallen in love?

Sans looked at Papyrus once more.

could I really.....?