Chapter 9

February of 1450 – London, England.

Unfortunately for Margaret, the Londoners were not so willing to like her at all. After much arguing, she had agreed to follow Jacquetta’s advice and tried to conquer their hearts. She walked majestically through the streets, giving her blessing to the babies and money to the poor. She ordered her maids to sew shirts for charity, making sure to be seen commanding the act and always with a needle and linen on her hands. She even admitted Cecily, the Duchess of York, into her household of ladies-in-waiting. However, nothing seemed to inspire any love from the English.

“I do not know what to do anymore,” she would complain every night as the Duchess combed her hair. “It seems as if I can never win. I have done all I could.”

“Have you?” Jacquetta asked patiently. “You have done things that displeased people.”

Margaret knew what her friend was hinting at. Three years before, the King’s uncle, Humphrey, the Duke of Gloucester, had been summoned to court. His wife, the infamous Eleanor Cobham, had been linked to a famous sorcerer, the Witch of Eye. A quick search on their house was enough to find evidences of witchcraft against Henry. The Witch, Margery Jourdemayne, confessed that the Duchess of Gloucester had requested her services to predict the King’s death and cast a spell on him. Further to that confession, three astrologers admitted that Eleanor had called them to her house to consult with them, asking about the future, requesting predictions and counselling. Roger Bolingbroke was one of them, and the one to name Eleanor as the instigator of the making of the King’s life map that was found on the Duchess’ private chambers.

Nobody was ever fond of Eleanor; in fact, many refused to address to her as a Duchess at all. She was the second wife of Gloucester, being his former mistress. His first wife, Countess Jaqueline of Hainaut, had been shamed by her husband for failing to produce an heir. Their marriage was annulled and she died quietly in exile, while Gloucester celebrated his wedding to Eleanor, his wife’s former lady-in-waiting.

Even Jacquetta avoided the presence of Eleanor, knowing that the woman envied her beauty and status. The fact that Jacquetta, even after she had married Richard Woodville, outranked every other lady at court except the Queen, was a stone in Eleanor’s shoe.

When the witchcraft charges were declared true, Eleanor was stripped from her wealth and imprisoned. She still remained isolated at the Isle of Man, where she waited for death alone with her phantoms. Jacquetta, who in Margaret’s opinion should be relieved that Eleanor was sent away, had wept for the fellow Duchess and prayed for her soul.

Gloucester was sent to the Tower to be charged with the same accusation. Many said he’d face death penalty, but he died in his cell before the verdict. His heart had stopped they said, yet rumour was that he had been poisoned. It was not hard to link the incident to the Queen of England.

“I do what it is best for the country,” she replied.

“Then do not complain,” Jacquetta said. “You do your duty when you do what is best for the country. You cannot please everyone.”

“But I please no one!” Margaret sighed, standing up in frustration. “I have no friends, I have no allies!”

“The King is your friend.”

“The King is supposed to be more than my friend.” Margaret grinded her teeth.

“Shh!” Jacquetta said, raising a brow.

It was common to see the king and Queen of England together, discussing politics and even attending reunions with the Privy Council together, the Queen being an equal to her consort. However, no one could respect a queen that, after five years, had failed to produce a son.

“I try,” Margaret whispered. “He won’t even visit my chambers. Everyone knows that. He does not desire me. I have to beg for him to come to my rooms, and when he does –”

“The King is a very religious man,” Jacquetta interrupted. “Trust in God, Margaret. A son will come. A beautiful son, who will be undeniably his father’s.”

The Queen immediately turned her head to Jacquetta. “What? Why do you say this?”

“This is only obvious –”

“Do not lie to me!” Margaret clasped her friend’s hands into hers. “Was it… the Sight?”

Jacquetta shrugged. “Let us not speak of that.”

“You must let me know if you have a vision!”

“I do not have visions!” Jacquetta said vehemently. “And do not repeat this to anyone, Margaret.”

“Why not? I am the Queen, I can do as I please, and you are my favourite!”

“Queen or not, favourite or not, we are both women,” the Duchess said. “And you know very well titles will not save us if we are named witches.”

“Just tell me this, please,” she begged. “I need to know, Jacquetta. I need this little hope. I cannot keep pretending all is fine, there will be a point when I shall not be able to control myself… But if I have a hope… If I know all these years of struggle will pay off, that I will have a son… Please, Jacquetta…”

The Duchess looked at the door, as if afraid there was someone listening. She was always afraid, as if it was a sin and God Himself was about to catch her on the act.  But as she glanced at Margaret’s face and saw her pleading green eyes, begging for hope, she felt her heart melting.

“Very well,” she whispered. “Yes, Margaret. It was a vision. I see in your future a son; a boy that will be undeniably his father’s son, and he will bring peace and joy to your life.”

Margaret beamed, as if she had been just told she was already with child.

“Thank you, Jacquetta.”

“Now, I beg of you, do not repeat these words to anyone. You know very well a woman of an equal ranking of mine was sent to life imprisonment under the charge of witchcraft.”

“She was plotting against the King –”

“Eleanor Cobham had many flaws, but one thing we can say about her is that she is an enlightened woman, ahead of her time. Her seek for knowledge and instruction led to her ruin, and her family as well. I have a husband whom I love, and we have eight children; I will not put them in danger. I want them all to grow up with their mother by their side.”

The Queen nodded, walking slowly back to the chair.

“We live in a world where it is not allowed for women to speak our minds.” She sat back, grabbing the comb and handing it back to Jacquetta. “Do not let them control what you see as well, Jacquetta.”