Chapter one

His clawmate was a SandWing.

It was ridiculous. Winter was a royal IceWing and he would never stoop so low to stay in the same room as a SandWing, much less spend almost every day of his life with him.

Qibli was annoying, and annoying meant that he would constantly get on Winter's nerves (on purpose, he might add) until he reached the boiling point-

"Winter. Just chill for a second, can you? Get it? Chill? Because you're an IceWing? I know, I'm hilarious." Qibli grinned at Winter, who was dragging his bags over the chaotic mess that was Qibli's, and stuffed it under his bed in an act of desperation.

"I do not find you funny in any way ever." Winter hissed, his frostbreath nearly spilling into his words.

"We're best friends, right?" Qibli rose and eyebrow, poking Winter's face playfully, his grin getting very irritating by the minute. Winter promptly decided to snap at Qibli's claws, but the SandWing pulled back, dodging by a scale.

"They said you majored in history and art." Qibli mentioned, his wings folding as he ducked to avoid another claw swipe from Winter.

"So?"

"You're joining in the art competition, aren't you?"

Winter frowned. He didn't like where this conversation was going, but he had to follow his father's rules. He needed to keep his public image and reputation because it was stupid but it was necessary. He was royal, after all.

"Yeah, I am. What about it?" He snapped, harsher than he thought it would come out as.

"My girlfriend's joining in, too. In fact, she's going to be the representative." Qibli said with a huff, his chest puffed out with a hint of pride lingering behind that action. Winter snorted a laugh and rolled his eyes.

"Your girlfriend. I wonder how she deals with you."

"I'm very charming."

"Shut up."

Winter packed his books and slammed the door so he couldn't hear any word from Qibli. Staying in an enclosed space with that SandWing was already raising his anger.

His class was starting in ten minutes. He had to hurry before he got a bad mark on his clean slate, and it might even affect his chances of winning the art competition this year.

He slung his bag over his shoulder, his steps wide and-

"Oof!"

Winter was thrown off-guard, his books spilling onto the floor, pages surrounding him in a crinkled mess.

"Three moons, I'm so sorry-" A voice rang in his head, loud and clear.

A NightWing was shuffling his papers together, tucking in stray pages and stood up, her talonsteps staggering.

A NightWing?

She had a silver teardrop scale hanging by her eyes, which was remarkable. Winter thought they were actual tears.

Winter shook his head, clearing the accumulated mayhem in there, pulling his body up.

"What did you do?!" Winter barked, his throat booming.

"I-I-" The NightWing looked up at him, flinching at his gaze but didn't look away. Her claws trembled with nervous anxiety, eyes like miniature nights swallowing him whole.

"I'm sorry." She didn't seem angry or anything. If anything, she was scared, maybe a tinge of upset in her voice.

Winter remembered what he learned in dragon anatomy. NightWings with teardrop scales read minds, he realized.

Don't read my mind, moon-eyes. Winter yelled as harshly as he could in his mind, and the NightWing darted her gaze to the floor, her eyes dropping like heavy stones.

He snatched the stack of books and papers in her talons and stomped away, fuming.

I knew I couldn't trust NightWings.

Not after what they did to Hailstorm.

Not after what they did to him.

Winter felt tears welling up in his eyes, rolling down uncontrollably his snout as he turned into another hallway. Realizing that he was late, he yelled a shout of frustration and slammed his fist against the walls until his throat was hoarse and his eyes were sore.

He furiously rubbed his eyes, feeling frozen tears still dripping from his eyes, and exhaled a cold breath before walking away.

He was five minutes late.