27 | An Invasion in Progress

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"We're in position," Kate's voice came over Doyle's comm.

"Is everything jammed?" I asked Rajen over my own.

"Affirmative," the surgeon replied. "Bobbie and I have taken everything out so you can land without being detected."

I nodded to Doyle, and he in turn ordered the pilots to put the gunships down in a field, approximately one mile from the Castle. We landed in a field, belonging to none other than Magdelena's sister, Mina Vincent.

We walked from there, and just as we were approaching the back of the Castle, Doyle commed Zel. "Let 'er rip."

Numerous gunshots went off in the crowd in front, followed by an eruption of screaming and people stampeding out of the gates in front. "Protect the Prince!" and "Get the Queen inside!" ordered the Royal Guards, just as Zy had predicted.

Zy and I drew our handguns, both of us poised for entry on either side of the door. Ling and Roy lined up behind Zy, Doyle and Ajay behind me. "Remember, there's only going to be kitchen staff in here, most likely, so let them out," Zy informed, and I nodded.

On his cue, a wink toward Doyle, or maybe toward me, we kicked in the doorknobs, raising our weapons at the people frozen with knives and plates in their hands.

"New Cause and Shards!" I yelled. "If you support us, take this way out now! This Castle's going down!" Recognition dawned on most of their faces, as they scuttled out, most patting us on the backs, and one older lady kissing Roy on the cheek. Ajay covered her mouth with her hand to keep from giggling at him, while his blush just deepened in its red color, and I just smiled to myself. I was right about them.

I shook my mind from the side road it had been taking and motioned my men to follow me further inside. Doyle peered through the circular windows out into the elegant dining quarters, gilded tables and chairs set with priceless dinnerware spread out over red carpet that went for miles. I could tell that he was taken aback at the sight, his calm steps faltering for a fraction of a second. It was something that only I would be able to pick up on, since he'd been my best friend for fifteen years. "Okay Zy, what's the best way to go from here?"

"See the double doors on the right side?" Zy directed, not lowering his weapon. I nodded. "Those lead to a hallway, and we turn right there to get to my quarters. There will be Guards stationed there, but don't be bloody fooled. No one will be inside. It's the emergency protocol. Niall and Elerissa will be in her quarters, but there are three passageways leading down to other floors of the Castle. Once he hears us coming, he and Jia will try to block her exit, but they won't be able to hold her long without revealing themselves. We have to get to Elerissa quickly."

"You heard him!" I called back to my men, and they all unlocked their weapons, crouching down in defensive stances until I waved them forward. Doyle and I kicked down the double doors, and immediately we heard footsteps moving down the hallway.