Survival Skill 4: Thou must let public know

To say that they were shocked, was a complete and utter understatement.

They were looking at us with wide eyes and their mouths agape. Luckily, the twins didn’t understand a thing and they just looked uninterested with the information.

Jamie was the first one to react. "What?!"

“I’m his girlfriend.” I repeated, rolling my eyes.

“W-when did this happen?” my Mom managed to stutter.

I tried to rack my brains for believable answers. “Uhm…” I really didn’t think this through, did I?

“After the last dinner,” Rex answered, casually saving me.

“After the potato incident?” Jim questioned, wide-eyed.

I couldn’t control my chuckle when I remembered that incident two months ago. Yeah, those were definitely the good times. They all looked at me confused. And that's when I remebered they asked me a question. I gave them a smile and nodded.

Mrs. Parker finally found her voice to react. “H-h-how?”

“I’ve always had a thing for George, Mom.” Rex answered sheepishly. I suppresed the astounded expression as I gave Rex a quick glance. Wow, this dude could be an actor. He turned to me, expecting me to answer the same question.

I turned to them and saw in their expressions that they were expecting the same thing.  Panicking, I tried to say the next words without puking. “I thought he was cute,” Don’t puke. Don’t puke. Don’t freakin’ puke. “with the potatoes on his face,” Phew, survived that one.

“So…I, uh,” Rex continued. He looked like he was trying not to puke, too. “I courted her.”

“Unbelievable!” Jamie looked at us in shock. "You guys are not serious aren’t you?!”

Rex tilted my chin to face him and I resisted the urge to puke again. He smiled lovingly at me while I tried my best to mirror his expression. Instead, I was pretty sure I looked like I was constipated or something.

Just then my Mom squealed giddily and started jumping. It took about three seconds before Mrs. Parker did the exact same thing. “This is perfect.” Mom said as she gave me a hug.

Mrs. Parker gave me a hug that I thought was only reserved for screeching teenagers, not mature mothers. “I know! We are going to be In-laws,”

“I was hoping this day would happen.”

“I know you guys just needed time to get to know---“

“I got it!” Jamie suddenly shouted, cutting our mothers' giddy exchange. We all looked at him confused. “This has to be some sort of prank show.” He then stood up and searched the dining room.

“Uh, what are you doing?” Rex asked.

“Looking for hidden cameras.” Jamie answered, still searching with his eyebrows furrowed. “It’s got to be here somewhere.”

“We’re not in a reality prank show, duffus.” I said, rolling my eyes. “This is actually happening.”

And Mom started jumping up and down again. Geez, me and my big mouth.

“Don’t you dare hurt my little girl, Rex.” she said playfully to Rex.

“Never,” he replied lovingly. Seriously, this dude could get an award with those acting skills.