Chapter One - Part One

Friday October 30th 2015

"Please tell me you're coming tomorrow night," Hannah pleaded as she leaned against the locker next to mine. She closed her eyes and played with the ends of her silky red hair. A sure sign she was trying to calm herself down.

I rolled my eyes at her, knowing full well she couldn't seem me.

"Actually my mom just called, said were going away tonight, Aunt Liz is sick and she needs us, won't be back until Sunday."

Her eyes darted open at my words.

"But.." she started but couldn't seem to find the words. "My party," she finally settled on, making her sound like the spoiled princess she appears to be at first glance. 

She bit her lower lip and her dark brown eyes gleamed with tears I knew would never fall and I burst out laughing unable to keep my ruse any longer.

"Of course I'm going Hannah; you don't need to keep asking me." I said as I pulled out my History book. "Nothing could keep me away from your sixteenth." I turned to face her.

A small frown replaced her watery eyes.

"That's not funny Meghan" she said. "We've both put a lot of planning into this, everything has to go perfectly."

"And it will," I said placing my hand on her arm, "just stop worrying."

"But what if no one comes, it'll be a disaster, I'll be the laughing stock at school." She bit her lip again.

I shook my head. We both knew no one would want to miss Hannah's big night, everyone loved her and it was well known that Hannah and I always threw the best parties. Hannah just had a tendency to expect the worst.

"Everyone is going Hannah, This is going to be the best party either of us has ever thrown. No one will forget it." I gave her my biggest smile. "But if I'm late for History again then I'm going to get kept back for detention."

She gave a soft sigh.

"Fine, but we still have so much to do, we need to finalise everything tonight."

I nodded. "See you at lunch." I said. "Until then relax, don't even think about the party okay."

~

The late bell signalled just as I stepped into the classroom.

"Late again I see Miss Clarke," Mr Marshall, my History teacher said.

"Uh, no." I said placing one hand on my hip. "I'm right on time."

"You should be in your seat by the time that bell signals." He replied crossing his arms. "and now because of your lateness, you are taking away valuable learning time from other students." His brow furrowed.