Chapter 9

Chapter 9

       I always hated Valentine's Day, mainly because I never seemed to have a girlfriend that one day. I have had plenty of girlfriends, but none when Valentine's Day got around. So I spent most of the day buying chocolates for myself and watching sad movies.

       Just kidding. 

       I just pigged out on food and treated the day like any other day.

       Not today.

       I mean, I still didn't have a girlfriend, but Spruceworth seemed to make a big deal out of the day with plenty of events and sales going on, which was making me feel even more lonely than I had been.

       So I was going to spend today with a girl that really needed to get out of the house more. Hopefully, she would want to spend the day with me.

       I walked up the front steps to the Goodmans' house and knocked on the door. Shortly after, Ariella's mom answered. "Hi," I said. "Is Ariella home?"

       She nodded and turned back into the house, calling for Ariella and telling her someone was at the door for me. She then looked back at me and held out her hand. "I'm Bella, Ariella's mom," she said.

       I shook her hand. "I'm Horatio."

       "Oh, Horatio," Bella said. "Ariella talks about you all the time. Non-stop talking. She doesn't even take a breath when she's talking about you."

       "Okay, thanks, Mom," Ariella said as she stood beside her mom. "I really appreciated being embarrassed like that. You can go now."

       "Alright, alright, I can see when I'm not wanted," Bella said.

       "Exactly, that's why I made it pretty clear that I want you to leave," Ariella said. Her mom just smiled as she walked away. Ariella sighed and looked at me. "So, why are you here?"

       "Do you have any plans?" I asked.

       "Well, I was going to have a best friends night," Ariella said. "But Destiny couldn't come because she has a boyfriend and a daughter, and Calvin said he's busy doing who know's what."

       "Oh, I think he's actually going out somewhere with Kenny," I said.

       "Are they dating?" Ariella asked. "Because I've noticed that they've been very close recently and Calvin refuses to tell me anything."

       "I'm not exactly sure," I said. "Kenny just told me that they're just letting things go with the flow. Calvin probably isn't telling you because he knows Kenny isn't ready to come out and he doesn't know that you know Kenny is gay."

       "I'm still offended that he's not telling me," Ariella said. "I don't like being the only friend who's single, especially on Valentine's Day."

       "Exactly why I'm here," I said. "Well, kind of. Do you want to go somewhere? Maybe the diner or....anywhere?"

       "Actually, yeah," Ariella said. "Yeah, I really need to get out of the house, and it will be worth spending time to you. And I really love the food at the 50's diner, plus I get the employees discount."

       "I didn't actually think about it," I said. "I just love the food there."

       Ariella gave me a thin smile before putting on her shoes, then her jacket before walking out of the house and closing the door behind her.

       We walked to BF's 50's Diner where there were actually quite a few people. Surprisingly, Dan was working there. "I thought we would be with Destiny," I said.