Chapter 17

I'm sorry.

Chapter 17

       I was staring at the murder board in the police station, which looked pretty empty to me. The only things on there were pictures of the victims, as well as a picture of Calvin and why he was a suspect.

       No matter how many times I told the others it wasn't Calvin, they just weren't convinced. Something about it wasn't adding up and I did agree, but his alibis checked out.

       I even talked to Kenny one day, and he said he wouldn't be covering for Calvin if he wasn't really with him. Calvin really was with Kenny during the first and second murder, and he did buy chocolates for Kenny during the second one.

       Linus walked over and stared at the murder board. "That is the smallest one I had ever seen in my career," he said.

       "Yeah, I know," he said. "We're missing something and it might be right in our face."

       "It is," Linus said, walking closer to the murder board and pointing to the picture of Calvin. "Right here is what we're missing. I'm telling you, everything is pointing towards him."

       "And by everything, you mean him arguing with the victims before it happened?" I asked. "That's nothing, and he gave his alibi, and I have someone who confirmed all three of them."

       "And how do you know that person isn't lying?" Linus asked.

       "Because he would never lie to me," I said. "I'm serious about Calvin, though. Everything about the murders were executed quite carefully from nobody seeing them enter to cutting off the school's surveillance. It's too obvious for it to be Calvin."

       "Well, I sure hope you're right," Linus said. "Three people already died within a month. We need to catch this killer before he strikes again."

       Spoken too soon.

       Angus came into the room we were in. "Sherman, you're coming with me. The killer struck again, this time it was in a very public place, right outside the park nearby so I'm hoping there was at least one witness."

       "Wait, why am I not going?" I asked. "You bring me along to all of them because I'm the one who knows the most about the case. You even got me to come during the one when I wasn't on shift."

       "I know that, but this time, you're staying here," Angus said.

       "Okay, but why?" I asked. "Like I said, I know the most about the case and I might be able to spot something out of place nobody else has, something that can connect to the rest of the murders."

       "Simms, you're staying because I can't have you act irrationally," Angus said.

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why would I?"

       "Because the victim is your brother," Angus said.

       I didn't even hesitate before I hurried out of the police station, despite Angus calling my name. I ran as fast as I could to the park, and it didn't take me long to see Kenny laying on the ground with Calvin kneeling beside him.

       I hurried over and knelt down beside Kenny as well, a part feeling the slightest bit of relief when I saw the Kenny was still conscious and the gunshot wasn't to the heart like the other victims.

       The other part of me felt my blood start boiling, especially when I saw the pain written across Kenny's face.

       "This is all my fault," Calvin said in a quiet voice, tears staining his cheeks. "I'm so sorry, Kenny."