Chapter 1: Different

A Chaos Angel does not know the love of anything or anyone other than her Brothers and Sisters.  She knows that she will be protected and that she will never be alone in her fight.  There are few of us, only seven, compared to the thousands of angels in each other sector. We all have a weapon that only we can use.  Some of us use bows and arrows, knives, spells, and spears. But me? I use a sword.  It was given to me by God. It is known by many as the Sword of Light. The sword that is a part of myself. The sword that has slated thousands of the seven Sins followers. 

Each angel has also been assigned a job, each has been assigned to one Sin, they fight the Sin that they themselves embody. I am Sarandiel and I fight Wrath.  I cannot stand the pain my anger brings me and as such must fight it, and no one else may take my job. Just as I cannot take Ruman’s job of fighting Gluttony, for it is his battle and not mine. However, we all fight Satan and we are united in our cause.

We are a family or so I thought.

1550 A.D.

I walked through the surrounding forest. My wings barely touching the leaves beneath my feet, my dress flew about me in chaotic unrest. The sound of fighting was near, and I could feel my thirst growing. I wanted to fight. I wanted to portray my anger.

I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder and turned slightly to see Haniel, who was the Angel that fought Envy, facing me.  He stood proud and tall, his red hair a sharp contrast to his white, protruding wings.  Haniel’s  staff was even taller than him, and just as imposing. He was as beautiful as any Angel was and just as always when I saw a Brother or Sister, I held my breath. I refocused my eyes and heard the sound of battle behind me.

It was calling me the anger these men felt…I felt it too.

“What would you like of me Brother Haniel?”

Haniel only looked at me before speaking, “We all fight the things that control us most. Sister Sarandiel, your job is to stop the Wrath that beseeches the men in front of us. There bloodlust is not something you may join. You are not like Wrath, for you are an Angel.”

I closed my eyes. He was right. I did not open my eyes again until I was in control.

“Thank you Brother.”

He nodded and smiled, “May God be with you always.”

I turned away and the wind ruffled my hair. He was gone.  I am here for my duty. I continued on to the sounds of battle in front of me, but I was no longer affected by them. I reached the clearing.  Swords clanged and the roars of men were heard. Blood spattered my surroundings, but it did not touch me. I spread my wings, and held my sword high. The sword shined in the light and beckoned to the heavens.

“Enough!”

My voice was heard not in the ears of each man, but in there head. They stopped, some midswing. One by one they looked up at me. They looked upon me and there Wrath disappeared. I was there savior just as much as God had been for me. I lowered my sword and slowly walked in between the bodies of those already killed and then I stopped.

“Men that kill for the Wrath they feel are not men, but cowards. God does not allow this in his utopian gates. Will you lower your swords for God?”

The sound of swords dropping at that moment was almost as loud as the battle itself. It surely reached Gods ears. I would later be described by the men as: “A warrior goddess of unearthly beauty that saved are very souls by her gaze. Blood nor dirt could touch her as she walked among us. Her wings filled us with a light so steady and true that we would never again hate another.”

My job was done and I smiled at the men, before disappearing. I had much more work of God that I must do. I appeared in a place not far off where I would meet my Brothers and Sisters after their missions. I stood still, I sensed a presence. Just as that thought crossed my mind, a sick, sadistic laughter came from above me and I did not look up. I knew who it was.

“It is rare to see you away from Satan. Let alone from the other Sin’s sides. You do not usually come to see your poison at work.”

There was no pause, and as soon as I acknowledged his presence he materialized in front of me.  “Sarandiel! How lovely to see you my dear. As beautiful as always. However, it is a pity to see my work ruined.” He was darkly handsome. His hair was black, and it was long, even longer than mine.  His skin was the same pale pearl. His eyes, they were my eyes, but they held something different.  A red fire was held deep inside, hiding behind the perfect blue. Just like his hair, his wings were pitch black and imposing.

“Wrath, why do you come?”

He raised a delicate eyebrow, “Am I not allowed to see my sweet twin sister?”

I spat on the ground, “You are not my brother, nor shall you ever be.”

“Ahh, so harsh! I even called you by your new name, Sarandiel. Or shall I call you the name you were given?”

“That name has no hold on me anymore. That name is from a different life, and a different time.”

Wrath smiled and it was sickening, “As you wish.”  He looked almost pitifully at my white wings, “Black wings would surely suit you much better my sister.”

My sword was pointed towards his neck without a second thought, “You dare tell me to join your side? To join Satan’s side?”

Instead of being afraid, Wrath’s smile grew wider and he licked the corner of his mouth, “Careful dear one. I do love the taste of your anger. It really does have a rather…unique flavor.”

“You Bastard. Do you realize what you did to us? You killed are family! We were happy. I was happy!”

He put his finger on my sword and tried to push it aside, but I kept it where it was. “Lets not get hasty sister. I did do what must be done. That man was going to take you from me, and when I told you I loved you….Well, you didn’t listen.”

“We were siblings!”

“We still are.”

Wrath stopped being my brother the moment I saw the blood on his hands. He had killed are mother, father, and little sister. He even killed the man I loved all in a feverous fit because I had refused him. I did not realize how serious his love was until the last moment. Because of our family ties I did not want to believe it. And in the end he even killed me and then himself so that only he upon my face. He was no longer the brother I knew. He hadn’t been for a long time.

“No. Never again. My brother died that night over  100 years ago. You may not tarnish the only good memory of him I have left. You are not him!”

With that final thought my sword vibrated with the sudden power of my sadness and anger. The screams of tortured souls emitted from its grip. Wrath opened his mouth, but no sound could come out. The souls started to become visible, transparent beings and they circled him slowly. Still they screamed there pain, and Wrath fell to his knees. They started to close in on him, and yelled for them to stop.

And they did.

They were under my command.

I told them to leave and when they were gone I fell to my knees alongside Wrath. Soon Wrath started laughing hysterically having just recovered from the affects, “It seems we have found something interesting….” He called upon his minions to take him away, for he could barely walk himself. I did not stop him, for I could barely move myself from the shock of what I had just occurred, of what I had just done. “I shall see you soon my dear sister, my dear Aveline.” And with that final name, that final remembrance. He was gone.

That was the first time I realized I was different. I was different then my other Brothers and Sisters. I would never truly be a part of them again.