Chapter 2: The Other Side

That Saturday evening Julie had nothing to do. This half–formed plan in her mind was stupid. She knew it was stupid, but she didn't know what else to do. She bit her lip. If her parents knew about it, they would drag her back to Seelie Island kicking and screaming.

She dressed in skinny jeans, flats, and a bright red top that didn't clash with her own red hair. She didn't want heels in case she lost her nerve and wanted to run. She stared into the mirror.

Yup, she looked like a girl going out to have a little fun.

She made a few sparks zip between her fingertips.

Ready to go. She stuffed her apartment key, wallet, and phone into pockets and left.

Tip–toeing down the hall, her shoulders sagged in relief as the elevator closed behind her. Rory and Luke didn't expect this. They were probably watching her routine and expected her to stay in tonight, like she had every other night this week. She tapped her foot. She would feel a lot better once she was out of the building and on the streets. Her nerves rose as the elevator went down. Yes, she would feel better once she was outside.

She took a deep, jagged breath of the still New York air. See? Better.

A few blocks down, she stopped at a coffee shop, getting a sandwich and choosing to sit in the front window. It was early yet, only seven o'clock. She played on her phone, looking for anyone whose face repeated more than once as they walked by. No luck.

Her hand shook as she took a sip of coffee. It was amazing how much safer she felt behind that flimsy apartment door—and with Rory and Luke on either side, she conceded. During the day she wasn't worried either, but she hadn't actively tried to seek out trouble.

Until now.

With a sigh she got up and walked out of the coffeehouse. Now what? She didn't have any friends here, and hunting or getting A.R.S.E. to track her so she could track them wasn't working. Had they forgotten about her? She had been here for a week and nothing had happened. What was up with that?

Julie kicked a rock on the street. Maybe they were just more discreet. It had taken them only a few days to track her down last time.

She passed by a darkened alley, stopping as she reached the other side. She looked at some clothes in a store window. They were a bohemian mix, not really her style. People were all over the street where she was. Down the alley she could make out another street a long city block away. The smell of stale garbage wafted out.

I really shouldn't.

Memories of that night in Atlanta crossed her mind. It had only been a few months ago when that man had followed her home from practice and attacked her. Since that random incident, her life had taken a downward spiral that she just now felt was turning around. Though, to be fair, she was on that spiral long before the attack; she just never knew it.

Her hand shook, and she gripped her shirt. She didn't need to be afraid anymore.

But was she just being reckless?

She took a deep breath. She would not be afraid again. She would take back the night and banish any nightmares once and for all.

There was only one way to find out.

Julie turned around and started down the alley, her eyes adjusting to the low light.

I am crazy.

She almost lost her nerve as she noticed a little puddle and a tiny stream of water dripping down drainpipes.

Just like that night in Atlanta. She took a deep breath and continued forward. No more. That man was dead, and she could handle anyone else who thought it was okay to attack young women walking around on their own.