Chapter 24: Goodbye

She couldn't believe Elden was letting them leave after all this. And letting them free the people who were here. How many compounds were there, how many people? How long would it take to free them all, to fight this battle against the Fey council?

"A lifetime." Luke looked down at her with a smile, squeezing her hand to let her know he caught her thoughts.

She gazed back at him. She could have it all with him—her dreams of dancing and even this new dream, the action and adventure of rescuing people. All with him.

Then all of her hesitations didn't seem to matter anymore. She touched a soft, blond curl by his ear in wonder then pulled his head down and kissed him before she could think about it too much. She was tired of thinking.

Luke pulled her in close, his mouth working on hers eagerly like he was finally letting lose something that he had been holding back. Julie gasped as his lean body pressed against hers, and he deepened the kiss. She shivered, giving into him for the first time with no hesitation. He felt her relax, and he pushed her against the wall to support them, his hands moving up and down her sides slowly. Her body trembled from him and the connection.

It was him. He was what she wanted.

With her decision, it was like the overwhelming feeling from the connection faded some. She still wanted him, but she could think straight. Was that part of her problem all along, not accepting the connection?

"It took you long enough," he whispered as they untangled a few minutes later.

She smiled up at him, seeing the smile reflected in his eyes. He touched her face gently. "I can't believe I'm allowed to do that now."

Julie chuckled, but it cut off after a minute as she frowned.

"You know what I have to do. It's the right thing." She looked Luke in the eyes. He nodded while keeping her gaze. "I'll be back." She squeezed his hand.

"I will be waiting," he said with no hesitation. He knew he'd won.

She shook her head. Luke was too confident. She would have to live with that, she guessed.

He smirked at her and realized she hadn't let go of his hand yet. He was reading every thought she had. "You really need to stop that."

"Then stop letting me." He rubbed his other hand up her other arm. She shivered.

Julie pushed at him, feeling cold at the sudden separation. Later, she promised herself. Funny, she didn't hurt with the separation this time. Instead it was as if a fire she liked to warm herself by was waiting for her to return. Now that she'd made the choice, something had changed. The connection wasn't as harsh. She took in a deep breath, feeling freer than ever, even though she'd just committed her life to Luke.

Then she set out in a run, heading down the steps after Ike and Rory. She caught up to Ike halfway down the stairs. He shook his head as he walked by, heading back up to where Luke was.

"Rory!" Julie caught up to him in the hall at the bottom of the stairs. He didn't turn. She ran after him, catching his arm. He caught his breath with a hiss like it was painful.

"Can we talk?" Julie pleaded.

"Why?" He yanked his arm away from her. "I know, Julie. I can see it in you. We're over. I get it. I'm in everyone's way."

"Don't be like that," she whispered. There was still a pull between them, but it was weaker.

Rory rubbed the spot she had touched as if trying to rub out her touch. "It's very clear."