night v

Cash had snuck out of Ashlund's apartment early in the morning, and by the time she had arisen from slumber all that was left of him was the smell of mint and sweat.

Still sick with the flu, she had taken another sick day from trying to find a new job and just laid around the apartment the whole day. She occasionally would look at and send some emails so she wouldn't be totally off her game, but that was as much as her body was willing to move. But as night approached, she slowly was able to roll off her mattress and crawl her way through the apartment, slipping on clothes and shoes and managing to run a comb through her knotted hair. Ashlund knew that she should've gone to a doctor, but she really didn't want to waste money for a complete diagnosis when she could just take some Advil.

Shakily getting up on her feet. she stumbled towards the door just as a knock hit her eardrums. Confused, she reached the door and opened it slowly. Outside, Ms. Overwood, the old lady who lived across the hall from her, was holding a cup of soup and a single flower.

"Hi, Ms. Overwood," she said. "What's this?"

"Well, I saw that boy yesterday, and he seemed frantic to see you, darling. I thought something must be wrong, especially since I haven't seen you out in the past couple days, so the neighbors and I wanted to give you a 'get-well' gift, like you usually do with us." The old lady gave her a smile, and pushed the gifts into her hand. "And that boy? He's a keeper." And with that, in all Ms. Overwood fashion, she turned on her heel and walked back into her own apartment before Ashlund could even get out a single word.

Wordlessly, Ashlund quickly place the soup and the flower into her apartment and started making her way to the park. Down the stairs, out of the complex, along the street, not even stopping for a crappy cup of hot chocolate.

Her movements were sloppy, and if someone were to look at her they would write her off as a drunk. Her breath was coming out in huffs, and her chest tightened every time she breathed in. Her legs were as wobbly as a baby deer. By the time she reached the park she was about to collapse.

Maybe she did really need to go see a doctor.

She reached the clearing and her legs crumpled beneath her, the ground coming up and hitting her shoulder. With a groan, she rolled onto her back and watched the stars, waiting for Cash to come and sit by her and just be Cash, rude and funny and loving and hating and dreaming. Because he didn't have to be asleep to dream, and that's what drew her to him.

She laid there in silence, letting the city's sounds wash over her until she could hear the crunching of grass and felt a warm body lay down beside her, their elbows touching.

"You're still steaming hot," was his greeting.

"In which way?" She replied cheekily.

"Both?"

Ashlund laughed. "I'm still sick, but I didn't want to bail again." A pause. "Why did you leave without waking me up?"

Cash sighed. "You looked like you needed rest more than a goodbye, so I let you sleep. I'm sorry if you're upset by that."

She shrugged, turning her head so she was looking at him, only to find him already looking at her. Heat flashed up her neck. "I just wanted to know why."

He raised an eyebrow at her, but a small smile played on his lips. "Are you feeling any better tonight?"

"Health wise? No. Sleep wise? I don't feel like a complete zombie for once, so that's great. How's the cafe coming along?"

He shrugged. "Money wise? Not great. Idea wise? It'll be the best thing New York saw since Broadway."

Ashlund copied his raised eyebrow. "Oh really? Glad to know you're so modest about the place."

Cash chuckled and turned his head to face the sky. The dim lighting in the clearing accented the curve of his jaw and his high cheekbones, his long nose and chapped lips. His curly hair wasn't tied back, and it flew around his head like a halo. He looked... happy, content.

She smiled and turned to look at the night sky.

He turned to look at the woman beside him. Her curly brown hair was blown out across the grass, and a strand tickled his ear. The bags under her eyes were less prominent than before, but still there. Her hazel eyes gleamed like a star, and a smile was gently placed on her lips. Even though her brown skin was slightly more pale than usual, it was still beautiful. His fingers itched to be intertwined with hers.

So that's exactly what he did.

Ashlund jumped at the sudden touch, but didn't pull away. Instead, she gripped on tight.

He smiled.

"Now what impulsed you to hold my hand?" Ashlund asked jokingly.

"It makes me feel better about myself, since your hands are so small that it brings an atom to shame," he replied, laughing.

Ashlund scowled at him and quickly retracted her hand, smacking his chest. "Rude much?"

"Aw, don't be like that." He grinned.

"Like what?" She asked innocently.

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Are you kidding me?"

"No," she beamed.

"You know exactly what you did," he growled low in his throat, teasingly.

She just laughed in response.

Without thinking of the consequences or the outcomes, Cash suddenly got on top of Ashlund, his knees on either sides of her hips and his hands placed beside her head so he wouldn't crush her. "Don't play," he said.

The laughter was erased from Ashlund's face, and there was no expression on her face betraying her emotions. "What are you doing?" she whispered, cringing when her voice cracked at the end.

Cash stared down at her, realizing what he was doing, but he didn't move. "Have you ever met someone and you just clicked? Got along so well that it's like you've known each other for years when in reality it's only been a couple hours?"

She nodded her head, swallowing.

"I want to kiss you," Cash whispered.

Ashlund stared up at him for a moment, not knowing what to say. "Cash..." she started to say, but was interrupted as his lips caressed hers softly.

Both of their eyes fluttered shut, and her hands weaved into his hair as his touched her cheek gently. It was a collision of power, two forces meeting each other in the middle. It was soft, but as it grew harsher and their lips were everywhere.

When they finally broke apart, Ashlund touched his swollen lips as Cash placed his hands over her rosy cheeks. "That's the relationship I have with you." Cash whispered. "And I never want to wake up from this dream, because you are the best thing to have ever light up my drab world. I know we just met, but I want to work on this connection between us."

Ashlund smiled at him and patted his cheek. "Take me out on a date one day, then we'll see about a real relationship."

And he smiled with the glee equivalent of three suns, and wrapped his arms around her.