night mc

"I don't see why you're opening your cafe at night. Don't people get coffee in the mornings?" Ashlund whispered to Cash, clinging onto his arm as they stood outside the cafe.

Cash looked down at his girlfriend, smiling. "Do you know who you're talking to?"

She chuckled, remembering their chance encounter and how he had scolded her for not having a caffeinated drink. "I'm so proud of you for finally making this happen."

Cash rubbed her shoulder lovingly as he looked up at the coffee shop he had built up. Ashlund's Cafe was getting good coverage because of his uncle and his friends, and money had pooled in to help create his fantasy. Tonight was finally the mark of it's opening, and tomorrow he would start selling.

He couldn't stop smiling.

"Oh, I just remembered!" She suddenly blurted out, turning to him. "Do you know how you always ask about what I've been carrying around in my pocket since you found me freaking out about losing it? And how I always ask what you're fiddling with for the past couple days. Well, today I was thinking that I would finally take you out of your suspense and tell you, but you have to tell me what's in your pocket. Deal?"

He grinned, not hesitating. "Deal."

She took a deep breath, smiled up at him, and fished inside her pocket, pulling out the trinket that always accompanied her. It was a small crystal, barely the size of her pinky, with a pink tint.

"It's one of those hippy crystal things that's supposed to help calm my anxiety. It doesn't really help, but I like having it around." She laughed and slipped it back into her pocket. "Stupid, but necessary for me to know that I had a backup if something went wrong. I can't live without this and my grandmother's locket. Now, what's in your pocket?"

Cash wrapped his arm around her waist, placing his head in the curve of her neck. "You're not going to let me go until I tell you, right?"

"You know me so well," she laughed, running a hand through his newly-cut hair, missing it's usual length, before pushing him away. "Now tell me."

He sighed jokingly. "Okay. You have to close your eyes until I tell you to open them though."

She nodded and placed a hand over her eyes, biting her lip in anticipation.

Finally, after a moment, Cash told her to open her eyes.

A gasp flew out of Ashlund's lips as her hands covered her mouth. Kneeling in front of her was Cash, pinching a small ring between his fingers.

"Ashlund Harvey, I knew from the moment I first saw you in central park that you would be someone of importance to me. You have changed my life, for the better, and I want to spend my remaining days with you by my side; my rock, my love, my best friend. Will you give me the biggest honor and marry me?"

Tears sprung up in her eyes and she frantically nodded her head, rushing into his arms. He beamed as he wrapped her in his arms, slipping the ring onto her finger. He would never admit to anyone, but tears of happiness were threatening to roll down his face.

"I love you so much." Ashlund whispered.

"I love you too." Cash whispered back.

the end

Character Aesthetics-