Chapter 31

Heyooo! It's been a while but I have returned, and I have an update! As always, I really hope you enjoy and thanks for reading! 

*************

"See, I told you. I knew you could do it!" Mrs. Bermingham cheered happily, dancing towards me with a teasing grin on her face. "You little genius, you!"

I smiled proudly as Mrs. Bermingham pulled me into a hug, rocking me back and forth in elation. Mrs. Fleischer had left the room as soon as she heard the news, and had gone to the front office to make the necessary arrangements.

My arms were still sore from the bone-crushing hug she had given me before she left.

"It wasn't easy," I sighed as she pulled away from me. "And. . .  there's no guarantee that he's going to keep his word. He could've just been lying to get me to go away."

"That's nonsense." Mrs. Bermingham scoffed. She gestured for me to take the seat across from her desk, and waited until I was seated before she continued her admonishment. "If he said he's going to, he's probably going to—" she paused and gave me a pointed look.  

"But if he doesn't, then it's your fault for not driving him here in your car. Why didn't you?" Her mood  had quickly changed from happy to worried, and I sensed that my doubts were contagious.

"He needed his space. Besides, he has the address. I took extra care to make sure that he did." I smirked, and she shook her head. 

"Either way, we have plenty of work to do so unfortunately, we can't wait around here forever. We have phone calls to make, children to prepare, brownies to eat. . ." Instead of sitting in her chair, she hopped on to her desk, and I goggled at her in surprise.

"Brownies? You baked brownies?"

She beamed at me, for I had fallen right into her trap.

"Well, I didn't bake them. The guidance counselor did. She brought in a ton of them this morning so we'd have enough for ourselves and the kids. Isn't she sweet?" Mrs. Bermingham said innocently, swinging her legs back and forth.

"That was very kind of her. Who's the guidance counselor?"

"Well. . ." she hesitated, a mischevious smile tickling her lips. "I wanted to tell you on the first day, but. . . I figured it might ruin your mood. But before you say anything—"

"Why would it ruin my mood?" I interrupted her, shifting around uncomfortably. "What? Is it someone I know?"

"Now, it's nothing to get worked up about. It's just one of your old classmates. Isn't that great?" She grinned at me, and I shook my head at her, absolutely sure that she was hiding something from me.

"I guess. . . but why did you think it would ruin my mood?" I asked her suspiciously, and she looked away wistfully.

"Weeell," she sang, trying to hide how much she was enjoying my nervousness. "I want you to see for yourself. If I tell you, you're going to get the wrong idea, and that's the last thing we need. Is that ok?"

"But why can't you just tell me who—"

"Great! It's settled then!" she yelled, jumping from the desk and onto her feet. 

"I don't have a very good feeling about this," I mumbled nervously, slumping in my chair. "I never really was friends with anyone in our class. . ."

"You'll be fine. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, too." She gestured for me to stand up and follow her. "She should be in her office, so what do you say we go down there for a visit?"