Chapter Forty-Two: A Strange Encounter

Jason

The sound of thunder was the first thing that woke me up in the morning. Dark gray clouds loomed overhead as droplets of rain slid down the windows. But inside, the condo was silent. I moved my leg to the side and kept going until it reached the edge of the bed. Looking over my shoulder, the spot that was once occupied by Lucifer, my new husband, was suddenly empty. His touch comforted me, held me, protected me whenever we were in bed together. Except now he was gone and the only thing that reminded me of him was his scent from where his head lay on the pillow case.

Rolling over in bed, I grab the pillow and planet my face in it, inhaling his scent. Dark woods, the deep aroma of tobacco and vanilla. With these combined I could picture him in my mind's eye perfectly, almost like he was here with me. Then I lay on my back with my head still on his pillow, my eyes staring up at the ceiling, listening to the rumbling sound of thunder in the distance. I placed my hands on my stomach and felt the jab, jab, jab of the baby's tiny feet nudging me in the sides as I winced and wondered how much longer would I have to endure something like this magical pregnancy until I could be able to move around on my own again freely.

"Hopefully, not for very long." I muttered to myself.

Sitting up though was a bitch in my opinion. Trying to get myself up and out of bed was a workout even in itself. I felt like a penguin as I waddled my way over to one side and planted both feet on the floor. Steadying myself with my hand on top of the headboard, I waited a beat until I was sure I got my bearings straight before moving slowly across the floor. I went to the bathroom first and did my morning business followed by a quick little birdbath in the shower. Afterwards, I went into the living room and noticed that a newspaper from the Telegraph was folded up on the coffee table with today's date.

As I moved into the kitchen, I heard the muffled ding of the elevator followed by a familiar humming tune. Lucifer was home. The keys jingled, the lock unlatched, the door swinging open before closing with a gentle click. I was in the midst of sticking my head in the refrigerator when I caught the scent of chocolate, powdered sugar, and dough. Doughnuts. The man bought doughnuts. Pulling out a carton of orange juice, Lucifer appeared around the corner carrying a paper bag that was filled to the top. He smiled, set down the bag, and kissed me good morning all within a minute of him being home.

"Morning beautiful," he said. "Hungry? I got doughnuts."

"I know. I could smell them as you came down the hall. Thank you anyways, though."

He shrugged and opened the bag, popping a chocolate one in his mouth. "Are you alright? You seem moody."

"I'm fine. I was just wondering what made you get up so early."

"I couldn't sleep. So I decided to go out and clear my head a bit."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. It's just that with you getting so close to your due date. I'm getting nervous."

"Lucifer. Listen to me. You have nothing to worry about because we are going to be fine. And you are going to spoil this little bundle of joy rotten until it can't stand it anymore. Just like you've spoiled me."

He took me in his arms than. "But I love to spoil you. It's my favorite past time."

"I know you do. But we need to start thinking about entering the next chapter in our lives."

"What chapter? Are you writing a book? Is it about me and my dashing good looks or my irresistible moves to get you into my bed?"

I rolled my eyes. "No. Lucifer, please. This is important."