Chapter 10

A father is a man
Who expects his son to be as good
As he was meant to be .

Frank A. Clark

Alfred Pennyworth wasn't just the butler of the Wayne Manor. In fact, the man was also the one who babysat the boys when work packed the supposed father of theirs. Thus, he knew something was wrong right away when young Master Dick Grayson finally arrived at the school parking.

The teenager's head was towards the floor and his hands were tightly clenched on his bag straps. Instead of taking his usual seat in the front, Dick went to the back door. Without a word, the thirteen-year-old forced himself on the seat where Jason sat. The ten-year-old gave out a light grunt in annoyance upon being pushed. But reluctantly, he moved to the seat beside Tim.

Even he felt the difference in his sibling and didn't want to make the situation any worse.

Tim who sat at the farthest watched as Dick placed his bag down. He was muttering obscenities under his breath, and his eyes glanced back at the school building.

When the door slammed closed, and the thirteen-year-old was safe in the soundproof and window tinted car, he broke down. His arms wrapped around his bag as he buried his face at the top of the bag. As a few moments passed by, soft sobs began to fill in the car.

Alfred's gaze went to his rearview mirror as he looked at the reflection of his young master in worry. Dick's shoulders were shaking; his breath choked as sobs dominated his breathing pattern.

Seeing the typical cheery teen in such poor shape, Alfred could only jump to the worst conclusion.

Turning around to the backseat, the old butler patted on Dick's knee. "Did someone hurt you, young master Dick?"

Something like this had happened in the past during the first few months Bruce adopted Dick. However, Alfred had never expected the past to replay itself ever since the teen started his eighth year at middle school.

"Did someone tease you?" The butler rubbed his palm in a soothing circle at his young master's back.

Upon hearing the questions, Jason unbuckled his seatbelt. A glint of anger flashed across the boy's eyes, and he seemed ready to go beat up anyone who looked suspicious. It was his first time seeing Dick in such a sad state, and it could only mean that someone had severely hurt the teen.

Unforgivable.

Dick saw the anger written on Jason's face, and he shook his head in an instant to stop the other from doing anything foolish. Between his sobs, the teen finally started to explain. "S-s-stupid... i-i-idiotic... Valentine's Day! I HATE VALENTINES!" The last sentence was a scream.

The hostility everyone felt just mere moments ago vanished and instead, awkwardness replaced it.

Dick Grayson was crying over girl problems!

For a small moment of time, everyone was clueless what to do. Alfred gave an awkward cough as he turned back to the front. Jason wasn't too good at the comforting thing, and unfortunately, that had rubbed off on Tim as well. The duo shared a look, and a quiet conversation began.

Fixing a glare at each other, both of their eyes screamed 'DO SOMETHING!'.

Tim was the one who reacted quicker during the eye-to-eye conversation. With a jerk to his chin and a glance to Jason, the message was well-written in the younger's eyes. 'Comfort him right now!'

Jason blinked twice before his eyes narrowed to a fiery glare. 'No way in hell! You do it!' The ten-year-old scowled at his younger sibling in the hope that his heated glare could break the other's persistence.