Chapter 9

“But when he got there, there was nothing but broken bats and blood. He searched everywhere and couldn’t find a single soul. But then, he heard a groan from a pile of garbage bags.” He paused a sec to wet his lips, “He dug through it, only to find the ring leader... The one that been the cruelest.”

“Why was he in the trash, what did that kid do?” I was impatient.

“Apparently, his mini gang ticked off a much bigger gang. They were attacked and he tried to hold off the bruisers to let his friends escape.” he replied.

“Then what happened?” I asked.

He chuckled, “so the kid did what he could do, he helped his bully up and tried to get him to help. That was when they ran into this little old lady who the gang has harrassed. She took one look at him, his bloody jaws and swollen eyes and took him in.”

I was surprised, “She took him in? Just like that?”

“Yes” he answered. I let out a long gasp.

Tao then took out his phone to show me a photo where there were two boys. One was thin and small and the other was fatty and naughty looking. They seemed happy in front of an old lady. Then he went back on his story.

“and the boy stuck around for that night to make sure he was okay. And he came the next day and the next day and the next. You see that giant bully couldn’t talk for a while, so the boy talked to him.He then bought chalkboard for the giant boy to talk only to find out when he got better that he couldn’t write.” he looked up to me and said, “and you know what, the little boy taught him to write, to read and then math.” he chuckled, “eventually, they realized they were becoming friends. That little old lady? Well, when he got better, he followed her like a puppy dog. He do chores and even called her grandma.”

He starred deep into my eyes, “So you see, even the darkest, most awful tales can end in happiness.” he smiled.

“That story is about you isn’t it?” I’m guessing. I could feel him nod against the back of my head. “and that naughty boy is..... Chanyeol” he said to me.

My mouth became an exact “O” then. “We became good friends now, even after all these years. So I just want you to understand that I know you’re in a confusing dark place” he paused then, “I just want you to remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Promise me you’ll remember it from time to time?” The warmth that I was feeling spread through my whole body and I let myself smile.

Even if what Tao was asking was impossible, it felt nice to have a flicker of hope alive in me. Ans to have someone believe in me.I just nodded at him. His arms gave me a comforting squeeze again, before he let go-as if he didn’t want to break contact.

“Well I suppose we should get back to work, shouldn’t we?” he said to me as he rubs his nape.

Although he went right back to being calm, teaching self, I felt something had changed. I couldn’t help but wonder, was Tao feeling the same things about me? Or was I just another student among many. I supposed I would keep having to hang around him to find up.