Retrouvailles

It was just any other day. Nothing new, or out of the ordinary. I had another concert to perform at, and I needed to make sure my full concentration was on the show. Not on the fact that I was in her city. The one she lived in.

Scanning my eyes over the crowd as I walked onto the stage, I didn't see her right away. It didn't mean she wasn't out there, but it eased the butterflies a little.

Then the music started playing, and the song just made all the memories come flooding into my brain. It's been the same first song since the 1989 World Tour, and I didn't have the heart to change it. It was her favourite song. Welcome To New York.

"Walkin' through a crowd, the village is aglow. Kaleidoscope of loud, hide beats under coats."

I could barely hear myself sing over my thudding heartbeat. It was all about her, and that terrified me. Our romance was only a short-lived one, but one that would stay with me for the rest of my life. She was my best friend before anything else, and we should've stayed that way.

"It's a new soundtrack, I could dance to this beat, beat forevermore, the lights are so bright but they never blind me, me."

I could've danced to the beat of her forever. She was my soulmate, and I hated myself for letting her go that one night. The fight that led her to drive away in the pouring rain, only to end up in a car crash because of a drunk driver.

"Welcome to New York!"

A chorus of screams erupted from the audience, and I could only smile. And then my eyes locked with someone's, and my heart dropped to the floor. Emerald green eyes stared back at me, just as shocked as I was. Karlie. Did she remember?

I shook my head, and started talking to the audience, saying my usual piece. But this time, I couldn't focus because I was just so happy that she was there. But I was also confused. Was she just a fan now, or did she know?

At the end of the concert, I ran backstage with tears flowing down my face. I was watching her that whole night, and her eyes never left mine. I was singing to her.

After a few minutes, there was a knock at my dressing room door. "Taylor. There's someone demanding to see you. Says her name is Karlie."

"Let her in then, dammit!" I snapped, not looking up from my phone.

"Taylor," she sighed, "it's been forever." I looked up, and her hair was back to the signature blonde it used to be, and it was long—like down to her waist long.

"It has. Six years. Wait. How do you remember?" I wanted to hold her tight and never let go, but I needed answers first.

"When... when we locked eyes the first time, there was this thing I saw. It was us fighting, and then I left. Did- did that happen?"

"Yeah. So that's all you remember?"

"No, actually. I remembered everything except for that about three years ago, but I was too scared to contact you. I've been to every one of your shows since then. It was a lot of money, yes, but I was a supermodel. I had the money. Obviously I couldn't go back into modelling, because of the scar on my forehead."

"Can I see the scar?"

Karlie nodded hesitantly and pulled her bangs away from her forehead. I saw a long but faded scar spreading the width of her forehead.

"Oh, Karlie. I'm sorry."

"It's fine. But I just... I just wanna kiss you."

"Then kiss me," I said with a smile on my face.

Karlie's lips pressed up against mine, and before I even knew what was happening, it was done. She'd pulled away, and was looking into my eyes longingly.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too."

"I've gotta go now, but can I have your number? I missed talking to you, Tay."

"Of course."

Karlie handed me her phone, so I put my number in, with my name the same as it was before. Wifey.

I love long words so I was looking at them and this just came to me. I think I'm going to make a bunch of long word one shots, honestly.