Chapter 18

Rory got ready for dinner with Logan.  She decided she'd talk to him about everything tonight.  She suggested they eat in at her house.  A big public scene or extra attention being brought to their situation was the last thing anyone wanted.

At 7, Logan arrived with Chinese take-out and flowers.  He set the food on the table while Rory found a vase for the flowers.  They ate and chatted.  Rory struggled to find the right time to broach the subject.  She didn't want to accuse him of anything and wanted to give him the opportunity to tell the truth about everything.  Logan beat her to the punch.

"Ace, we need to talk," he started.

"Yes, we do."

"First, I want you to know that I love you and our baby girl very much."

"I know you do, Logan," she replied quietly.  She'd never questioned that about him.

"That's what makes this so hard for me."

"It makes it hard for me, too."

"You know?" he asked surprised.

"I suspected," she admitted.  "That's why I asked at dinner a week ago, and I haven't exactly made myself overly available to you because of my suspicions."

"I want you to know I came into this with the best of intentions.  I wanted to find a way out of this arranged marriage.  I wanted us to be a family!  I had hoped my father would leave me alone if I chose to walk away, but he won't admit defeat."

"What do you mean?" she asked, wanting to hear the explanation from him.

"He said he'd ruin me and make sure I never worked again, and not just in publishing - anywhere.  I couldn't do that to you and our little girl.  There's no way I could live with myself expecting you to support all of us.  It's not fair," he explained.

"Logan -"

"No, Rory," he said interrupting Rory.  "I won't do that to you.  It's not about me feeling like less of a man, it's about our partnership.  I've always considered us equals, and placing the burden of support solely on you is unfair to all of us."

"So, we are back to where we started in all of this?  Back to the dynastic plan?" she asked.

"I guess we are, but I still want us to be partners as parents.  If it's ok with you," he replied.

"There's nothing I want more, but are you going to be able to handle that?" she asked bluntly.

"I will try my damnedest, Ace."  He paused.  "I'm so sorry, Rory," he continued as the tears began streaming down his face.

"I'm sorry, too, Logan."  She took his hands in hers.  "I'm sorry we didn't work," she said and started crying with him.  "You know you'll always hold a special place in my heart, and we will always be friends."  She placed his hands on the baby with hers on top.  "We are bonded for life."

They embraced and held each other for a very long time.  They both continued to cry, locked in each other's arms.  After what felt like an eternity, both gained their composure.  They looked at each other.  Logan put his hands on her cheeks and drew her face to his.  They shared one last kiss.  They sat forehead to forehead for a moment after.  Rory finally pulled away and looked at Logan.

"I think there's one more thing we need to talk about," she said gently.

"What's that?"

"I don't know how to say this, but I want to be sure we're on the same page," she started.

"Ok, about what?" he replied a little confused.  He couldn't think of anything else they needed to discuss right now.

"About me, and the potential for future relationships."