Chapter 47

The second week of Rory's book tour was even more amazing than her first.  Having Finn with had been a huge help in the Tori department.  The paparazzi had calmed down, which contributed to the overall relaxed feeling of the middle leg. 

She had been going non-stop since the beginning of the previous week, so she was looking forward to a couple of days off from readings and signings.  When Finn found out the guys (and their partners) were going to be in Chicago at the same time, he suggested a dinner date to Rory.  She loved the idea and managed to convince her mom to fly in a day early.  She pretended to fight it but relished the idea of spending time with her granddaughter.  Finn throwing in a private flight finally put her over the top.

"I can't wait to meet the woman who's kept Robert off the radar," Finn announced.

"Seriously?" Rory asked in shock.

"He's barely spoken to any of us in the last few months," he explained.

"Not even Logan?"

"No, and he's been very secretive about her identity."

"That doesn't seem like him.  He normally brags about that kind of thing," she replied.  "Where did he meet her?"

"We've narrowed it down to London, but that's all we know," he answered.

"Intriguing, I must say.  I never thought I'd see the day he'd give up on his parrot named Polly," she said with a chuckle.

"Parrot named Polly?" Finn wondered curiously.  "I don't think I ever heard about that one!"

"Well, back at Yale, he laid out his life plan to me at your Tarantino birthday party.  When he died, he was going to leave every cent to a parrot named Polly, and he seemed pretty committed to the plan," Rory elaborated.

"He's always had a unique sense of humor," Finn replied and paused.  "Are you sure you're ok with this?  I mean, Odette will be there."

"I think I am," she replied.  "Honestly, I think she had turned over a new leaf, and I want to give her a fair shot.  It's time to let bygones be bygones.  I doubt we'll ever be friends, but maybe we can be friendly."

"I could come up with some sort of code for you in case things with her get to be too much to handle," he offered.

"Like what?"

"I hadn't thought of anything specific, but maybe a phrase or gesture," he said.  "It's just something to think about."

"I'll consider it, but I don't think it's likely," she replied.  "Oh, crap!  We'd better get going or my mom will think we've forgotten about her!  You definitely don't want to face that kind of thing!"

They quickly gathered everything, including a sleeping Tori, and took the car to the airport to pick up Lorelai.  They had jokingly made a sign to welcome her to Chicago.  Once they got all of her luggage, they started back toward the hotel.

"How was your flight?" Rory asked her mother.

"Have I told you how I'm never flying commercial again?  I think my mother may have been onto something when she was going to buy a plane," Lorelai paused.  "Don't you dare tell her I said that!"

Rory crossed her heart and put up her hand to signify she swore never to reveal her mother's secret.

"I'll take it you had a comfortable flight," Finn said.

"Yes, thanks to you, I had my favorite junk food and an urn of coffee.  I couldn't imagine flying any other way," Lorelai said gratefully.

"No rabid dogs or drugged children attacking your seat and stealing your change?" Rory asked jokingly.