Prologue

What is wrong with me?

Yoongi sighs.

Am I really unlovable?

God, I wish I knew the answer to that question.

But I will never find out, will I?

A wretched, watery smile graces his lips.

His fingers glide over the ivory keys as he plays the starting bars of the familiar melody.

"The corners of my memory, a brown piano taking up space on one side."

His mind swirled with disturbing thoughts as he continued to immerse himself in the gentle music.

"The corners of the house of my youth, a brown piano taking up space on one side."

He tries to ignore the doubt-provoking thoughts. He should be immune to them. They're basically a permanent part of his mind now.

He stops playing abruptly. He can't bring himself to play the next few notes. He just can't.

His depressing feelings resurface and he feels a renewed sense of vulnerability. He just wants to let it all go.

Out of the corner of his right eye, a single tear is formed. It drops from his eye onto his antique brown piano.

He doesn't do anything. He doesn't even wipe his eyes. He just wishes. Wishes that he wasn't so weak. That he didn't feel so useless. That he was of some importance to somebody.

But I'm not.

His head droops and he's unable to contain it anymore. He's sick of pretending like he doesn't care.

That cold and hard exterior? It's just a facade. A wall that he built over the years to hide his weaknesses from people. But now it's too late. He made the wall so strong that he himself can't tear it down. He's incapable of doing so.

His tears now fall thick and fast onto his lap. He can't handle it. He just can't. At that crucial moment, he feels truly purposeless.

But what he doesn't know, is that all he needs in his life, is a little bit of hope.

A/N: didn't think I'd make it this angsty but look where we are lmfao. This book will probably get happier as it progresses so dw! I hope you guys like it~