Chapter Four

Harry was absent from his room the entire day the next day. Severus didn't see him until after dark, when he burst into his room and collapsed on the bed. 

"I've been expelled, Onyx." he said dully. 

Severus sat up straight in surprise. 

"I can't go to Hogwarts anymore." he continued. "Two dementors attacked my cousin and I. I used the Patronus charm. It was self-defense. That's allowed. They're not supposed to be allowed to expel me. But they did. And apparently, Ministry people are coming tomorrow to destroy my wand." 

He sat up. 

"I can't let them do that. I can't surrender my wand. With Voldemort back, I'll need it. But Fudge doesn't believe that Voldemort's back. He won't care."

He sighed, and laid back down, and just stared at the ceiling for almost an hour, before he fell asleep.

----------------

The next evening, Harry had only just gone downstairs to make dinner when he came running back up them, back into his room. 

"Onyx!" he exclaimed excitedly, brandishing a letter. "They've unexpelled me! I'm only suspended now, and I have to attend a disciplinary hearing in August, but Dumbledore's defending me, so it's looking much better than it did yesterday!" 

He grinned, but the smile slid off his face like stinksap when Vernon entered the room. 

"We're going out." 

"What?"

"We, that is to say, your aunt, Dudley, and I, are going out."

"Okay." Harry said dully. 

"You're not to touch any of our things."

"Right."

"You're not to steal any food."

"Okay."

"You're not to leave your bedroom."

"Right."

"I'm going to lock your door."

"You do that."

Vernon gave Harry a suspicious look before closing the door. Both Severus and Harry heard the lock click.

"Onyx..." Harry's tone gave the impression that he was only just realizing something. "How am I supposed to get to the hearing? The Dursley's won't take me, and I can't go by myself." he sighed. "I'll figure it out, I guess." 

He lay on his bed reading, until he fell asleep. 

----------

Harry and Severus both sat up straight when a crash sounded from downstairs. 

Harry looked at Severus, and whispered one word. 

"Burglars." 

But then it occurred to him that burglars would keep their voices down. Whoever was downstairs certainly wasn't troubling to do so. 

The lock to his bedroom clicked, and the door swung open.

"Potter?"

"Professor Moody?" Harry asked, uncertain.

"Don't know about Professor." the voice snorted. "Never got round to much teaching, did I?" 

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked.

"Rescuing you, of course." A different voice. 

"Professor Lupin?" 

"Why are we all standing in the dark?" A female voice. "Lumos."

A wand light flared, revealing several people.

"A surprising number of people volunteered to come get you, Harry." Lupin said, smiling slightly. 

"You guys are really lucky my aunt and uncle are out right now." Harry muttered.

"Lucky!" The woman, who Severus knew was Tonks, snorted. "It was us who sent them out! They're on their way to England's Best Kept Lawn Competition Award Ceremony. Or they think they are." 

Several of the people laughed. 

"We need to get you packed, Harry." Lupin said. "We're just waiting for the signal, and then we're off."

"To where?" Harry asked.

"Not here." Moody snapped. "We can't talk about it when we're this open. Get all your things and get downstairs, hurry!" 

The adults headed downstairs, leaving Harry with Severus.

"We're rescued, Onyx." Harry grinned. "And I can get you healed better in a more magical environment. Maybe some of the adults can help, too."

Harry grinned again.

"We've been rescued."