Chapter 13

Later that evening, after we left the botanical gardens, Shawn and I went to the local steak house for dinner. I splurged by eating a salad, a large steak, and a baked potato. Shawn decided to have the same. So far we seem to have the same great taste in food.

Over dinner, we reminisced about our weekend so far. Toward the end of our dinner, reality suddenly struck me. "What time does your flight leave tomorrow? I asked.

His expression turned to disappointment. "Two, but we can spend the morning together if you'd like?"

"I would love that. I know of a nice little café where we could get breakfast, and they have some of the best specialty coffee around."

He smiled. "That sounds great."

After dinner, we went to a movie. I was surprised that he held my hand through most of the movie. I wondered if he just enjoyed the closeness or if he really liked me.

The ending of the movie was really sad, and I had to try really hard to fight back tears. I didn't want him to see me cry at a movie. Some guys make fun of girls for doing that.

"Are you okay?" He asked sincerely.

I rubbed my eye with the back of my free hand. "Yeah, I just got something in my eye."

He wiped his eye with his hand, and smiled. "That's ironic. Me too."

I returned a smile. This guy never ceases to amaze me.

When we reached the lobby of the movie theater, I was shocked to see Jeffrey and Britney standing in the concession line. Luckily I saw them before they saw us, and I practically tried to drag Shawn out of the theater.

"Hey, why are we rushing?" Shawn asked amusingly.

"Oh my God, it's Shawn Mendes." A young girl yelled across the lobby.

Suddenly everyone in the lobby was staring at us, including Jeffrey and Britney. Britney's mouth hung open from shock when she noticed I was the girl with Shawn. Once she came out of her initial shock, she began dragging Jeffrey over to where Shawn and I were standing.

"Hey Alyssa. How are you?" She asked, never taking her eyes off of Shawn. I assumed she was making small talk just so she could approach us and meet him.

"Hi Britney. I'm good thanks. Um Shawn, these are my friends Britney and Jeffrey."

"Nice to meet you both," Shawn told them, gesturing hand shakes.

"Nice to meet you too," Jeffrey replied. Britney was suddenly at a loss for words.

"So you guys go to school with Alyssa?" Shawn asked them.

"Yeah," Jeffrey answered.

Just then a small group of girls approached us. "Shawn, can we please have your autograph?" The brave brunette asked.

Shawn gave them a bright smile. "Sure. What would you like me to sign?"

While Shawn was signing autographs, Britney finally spoke to me again. "Guess what? We got my prom dress today, and I love it."

"That's great. What color did you get?" I glanced over at Jeffrey who looked like he just lost his best friend.

"It's royal blue, and I thought Jeffrey could wear a white tux with a royal blue necktie and boutonniere," she answered.

Once Shawn was finished with the autographs, he asked if I was ready to go. I couldn't wait to say my goodbyes to Britney and Jeffrey, and quickly get out of the theater.

"When are you going to let me see where you live?" Shawn asked me on the drive back to his hotel.

I shrugged. "I don't know."

Never, if I have anything to do with it.

"I don't care what your house looks like Alyssa. It's not going to make me like you any less."

I gave him a sincere smile. I know by now that he's not a superficial guy. "You can take me home tomorrow after breakfast if you'd like."

"Okay great." He paused a beat. "Hey, I couldn't help hearing you and your friend Britney talking about prom back at the theater."

"You caught that huh?"

"So when is your prom exactly?"

"April 22."

"Were you planning on going?"

"I may go with Jennifer and Savannah if they don't have dates."

Why is he so interested about me and my prom?

"That's good. Everyone should experience their senior prom."

"Did you go to yours?" I asked curiously.

"No, and I regret it. Don't get me wrong, I love writing music and performing, but I really missed the whole high school experience: being in the classroom, sports teams, the talent shows, and of course prom."

"Wow, I guess famous people really do have to make sacrifices."

"Most of us do, but it's usually worth it."