Chapter 1: Rough Start

My story begins in the town of dawnstar a quaint town by the sea which is cold almost every single day of the year and the main attraction is a museum of cults or the mine depending on what you are into. Now in this little town lived a young Khajiit boy who spent his mornings scavenging for food and his nights looking up at the stars wishing for adventure. Yes this boy was me and back then I had no idea what this simple wish would bring. Back then I was extremely poor I had no family, no home, and no money I was nothing. I went around town and either rummaged through the trash for supplies and food or I ran errands for the townsfolk.

There was one nice lady named Frieda Asgeldsen and she was my favorite of those who lived in the town. She was an older Nord woman who spent her young years travelling the world seeking adventure and treasure she finally settled down with her husband in dawnstar after being shot in the knee with and arrow. Her husband had passed and her kids had left to carry on her legacy of adventuring a few years before I showed up so I helped her around town and did plenty of work for her and in return she would feed me, teach me to read, and let me take her old furniture and blankets for creating a makeshift shelter.

She was basically the only family I had ever known and I was like another son for her to take care of. She told me about everything she had seen in the world like The city of Elden Root which was carved into this great big tree, Volcanos that spewed red hot lava from deep within Nirn, abandoned Dwemer settlements with their machines still active and ready to protect the secrets within, and beautiful plains and mountains the likes I could never imagine.

I was amazed by her stories and she must have seen the fascination in my eyes because one night she stopped mid story and slowly walked over to the chest by her bed and rummaged around in it a bit before pulling out a dagger forged with a style I had never seen before she gave it to me told me that it was forged with the daedric style in a land called Coldharbour a place she told me "Under no circumstances you mustn't ever go or else I will find you and kick you in the snout" I chuckled at her promise but she looked at me with cold eyes that had seen too much so I promised her that I wouldn't go there and accepted the dagger and studied it for a moment looking at it's jagged edges and finely sharpened blade before tucking it away in the sheath she had given me with it. She told me that with that blade I could carve my own way through life and get myself out of dawnstar and into the vast world and go on adventures of my own and maybe even save the world.

I thought that last part was hilarious how could a poor Khajiit go on to save the world with nothing but a knife and an old lady's word and she slapped me on side of the head for that and told me that all heros had to start from somewhere and I was having a better childhood than almost all of the great heros she had read about. She continued with her storytelling until sundown but that night I had a hard time listening for her words had gotten to me and I was too busy daydreaming of the future and my own quests to listen. I left that night a new person I had a fire burning inside me and I promised myself I would get out of that town and start my own legend, I knew it would take a whole lot of work but I knew I could get there.

I spent a lot of time thinking the next day, I really wanted to leave but I didn't want to leave Frieda to fend for herself and I had no idea how I'd actually survive if I left seeing that I had no money or supplies other than a knife and I really didn't know how to hunt and I really didn't think I had it in me to kill anything... or anyone. I'd need a bit of training if I was going to survive. That next day I went into the woods and began teaching myself how to survive, I went to the docks and asked one of the fishermen to teach me how to fish, and I did chores for coin instead of food I just had to promise not to blow it all on skooma.

Through the next week I had become pretty good at using a knife and I had raised one hundred and thirty six septims and I was basically one a diet of fish and water but I had just about become the world's deadliest ten year old. By the end of that week I was ready to head out into the world. Before I started my journey I woke up before sunrise and I walked around town one last time saying goodbye to the people who had helped me, bought enough food to last me the first day, And sat on the docks looking at my reflection in the water. It had been five years since I had arrived in dawnstar and I had forgotten anything about the time before I was a poor orphan begging for food but now things were looking up for me and I had to make it for Mrs' Asgeldsen's sake.

I spent the last few minutes before the sun rose thanking Mrs' Asgeldsen for all that she had done for me before walking to the edge of town. I stopped for a moment and turned back looking at the sun as it began to rise over Dawnstar. I was trembling in my boots and I didn't want to take another step into the unknown but it would be such a waste if I let my fear overtake me before I even left town and I'd have to go back to begging and scavenging for food and there was no way I could ever go back to that. I took a deep breath and with it followed a wave of courage which coursed through my veins and got my heart pumping again. The first step was the hardest but the second felt a lot easier and after that my legs moved me forward like they had minds of their own and I found myself sprinting towards the unknown world that lie ahead.