Chapter 7

"Michael.." the word escaped my mouth.

"Yes. You finally figured it out."

"Why..why are you doing this to me?" I asked.

"Why are you acting so innocent now? Surely you weren't acting this way a while ago.." he said and circled me like I was some prey.

"Michael..I've changed. I'm not the same person anymore. Why don't you see that?" I said, unsure of my own words.

He let out a rusty laugh and my body shivered. I haven't seen Michael in years and he looked like a different person, but I could look in his eyes and see, it's Michael.

I remember the day we met. I remember the events before and after that...

There was a little boy outside the front porch and he looked angry. His eyebrows were knitted together in anger and he chucked pebbles on the ground in front of him.

"What do you want?" He asked as I got in the way of his pelting.

"Why are you so mad?" I asked him, and he still chucked a pebble at my knee.

He continued to throw rocks until his small pile beside him was gone, then he swung his legs and jumped off the porch, picking up the rocks and sitting back down and chucking them again.

"This place sucks." He complained.

"I know," I tell him and sit next to him, chucking rocks with him.

"How would you know?" He snapped.

"Because I've been here before." I replied.

"Why?" He asked.

"There's a lot about me that you don't know, and you won't find out." I said as I looked over at him, throwing the last of his small pebbles.

"You thought you had my scared for life, didn't you? You thought I would never come clean?" He said and laughed once more.

"I..I'm a changed person, Michael. I'm a changed person. Believe me.."

"I don't believe any of that shit. Any of it." He spat and I was backed up into the dark kitchen as he was in front of me.

"You made me sin. I was no longer the innocent boy when you made me do what you did." I could hear the sensitive anger laced in his voice as he gripped the knife in his hand.

I..." Michael's eyes were very watery and he cried. "Why did we do that?" He couldn't stop crying and I had no idea why he was balling so hard, it was nothing.

The dead four year old boy was near our feet, and Michael fell next to the child, sobbing and begging for forgiveness.

"Michael.." I said and tears escaped my eyes.

"Oh, now you have a sudden change of heart?" He growled and walked closer and closer to me until we reached the staircase leading to the basement. I had a feeling he was going to push me down the cement stairs and I would be dead in seconds.

"Go." He said, signaling to the dark basement. "NOW. OR I'LL KILL YOU RIGHT NOW."

I hurriedly rushed down the stairs and he turned the light on. This is it. I was trapped in the basement with Michael.

"Kayla. Kayla Parker. You may have been granted a chance at a fresh start, a new life. But I know exactly what you did, and no matter how many times you run, I will always know the real you and all the shit you've done. And as long as I'm trapped in here with you, you're not safe anymore." He gripped the knife in his hand and inched closer to me.